Author Topic: Christmas Film  (Read 6258 times)

Malc

Re: Christmas Film
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 05:59:19 AM »
Interesting thing about It's A Wonderful Life is that when it came out it wasn't a hit movie at all. Its subsequent climb to greatness is an interesting story in itself.

http://www.failuremag.com/arch_arts_its_a_wonderful_life.html

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »
Thanks for that, Malc----really fascinating.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 07:37:23 PM »
I can't believe so many here haven't seen 'It's A Wonderful Life'. I'm shocked! Truly. Please correct this appalling situation as soon as you can - it is a masterpiece! I well up just seeing that final scene.

I'm going to put in a word for 'White Christmas' too - not quite so poignant, but any film with Danny Kaye in has to be worth watching. Away from the Christmas theme itself, 'Singing In The Rain' (picked up the DVD for a song earlier this year, and the kids loved it, Donald O'Connor in particular), and 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'.

Any Scrooge movie, especially the Muppet one.
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 07:50:08 PM »
I'll freely admit I haven't seen "It's a Wonderful Life".

No I won't! I'll charge 25p each! PayPal will do.

I loved Louis Armstrong's song though.

I think you'll find that's 'What A Wonderful World', Peepsie. Eva Cassidy did a stunningly beautiful cover version. Treat yourself...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuksPhbUMc
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 08:12:16 PM »
Sorry - I know this is getting more and more off-topic, but I just found this, following on from the last clip (the joys of YouTube), and had to share. It's that same Eva Cassidy version turned into an 'impossible duet' by the stunningly beautiful Katie Melua. I have albums by both on my Walkman, but I didn't realise this existed until now...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TGqiLBusMV8&feature=related
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 08:23:34 PM »
I saw Eva Cassidy in the Little Theatre, Perth, a couple of years ago. It wasn't Perth in Australia, that everyone knows, but Perth in Scotland. I saw Eva Cassidy at the Little Theatre in Perth, Scotland. Actually, it wasn't Eva Cassidy, it was a play about Eva Cassidy. The Eva Cassidy was in fact an actress playing the part. I stayed at a hotel called the Huntingtower, or it might have been the Huntingdon Tower, or maybe the Huntington Tower. I can't remember that bit too well.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 08:25:09 PM »
I can't believe so many here haven't seen 'It's A Wonderful Life'. I'm shocked! Truly. Please correct this appalling situation as soon as you can - it is a masterpiece! I well up just seeing that final scene.

I'm going to put in a word for 'White Christmas' too - not quite so poignant, but any film with Danny Kaye in has to be worth watching. Away from the Christmas theme itself, 'Singing In The Rain' (picked up the DVD for a song earlier this year, and the kids loved it, Donald O'Connor in particular), and 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'.

Any Scrooge movie, especially the Muppet one.

Tarquin, I have seen it; that's how I know it is the biggest piece of sentimental American crap! To watch is more than once smacks (if that's the right word) of sadomasochism ('coz you bet your sweet bippy you ain't going to watch it alone!).

Vulture

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 08:26:27 PM »
I saw Eva Cassidy in the Little Theatre, Perth, a couple of years ago. It wasn't Perth in Australia, that everyone knows, but Perth in Scotland. I saw Eva Cassidy at the Little Theatre in Perth, Scotland. Actually, it wasn't Eva Cassidy, it was a play about Eva Cassidy. The Eva Cassidy was in fact an actress playing the part. I stayed at a hotel called the Huntingtower, or it might have been the Huntingdon Tower, or maybe the Huntington Tower. I can't remember that bit too well.

Why. Was it karioki night?

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 08:38:25 PM »
Vult, I've watched it many times, some of them alone. It's sentimental in that sentiment features strongly. Crap it ain't. Its Americanness is neither here nor there. For some, the film has literally been a life-saver.

That'll be the Huntingtower, right enough, Peepsie. I've been there on a few occasions myself, though not as many as Perth Theatre.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »
To be honest, I've never even heard of the film "It's a Wonderful Life". (I have now, of course).
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 09:51:17 PM »
Vult, I've watched it many times, some of them alone. It's sentimental in that sentiment features strongly. Crap it ain't. Its Americanness is neither here nor there. For some, the film has literally been a life-saver.

How?

Malc

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 01:01:04 AM »
Isn't it really A Christmas Carol for an American audience?

I remember the baddies in it, especially the the crooked banker Potter who steals, and engineers the Jimmy Stewart character's downfall, don't actually get their comeuppance.
Jimmy Stewart is saved by the fact that the nervous townspeople rally, they back him and don't remove all their savings from his savings and loan company in one go.

This was (apparently) because the FBI saw It's A Wonderful Life as a subversive picture precisely because the baddie (being a banker) was portrayed as an out and out evil character. The Feds saw this as Communist propaganda, and Capra was allegedly persuaded not to show the banker getting his just desserts.

peter

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 09:37:25 AM »
Isn't it really A Christmas Carol for an American audience?

I remember the baddies in it, especially the the crooked banker Potter who steals, and engineers the Jimmy Stewart character's downfall, don't actually get their comeuppance.
Jimmy Stewart is saved by the fact that the nervous townspeople rally, they back him and don't remove all their savings from his savings and loan company in one go.

This was (apparently) because the FBI saw It's A Wonderful Life as a subversive picture precisely because the baddie (being a banker) was portrayed as an out and out evil character. The Feds saw this as Communist propaganda, and Capra was allegedly persuaded not to show the banker getting his just desserts.

Bet they would today

Zesty White

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 10:21:24 AM »
I bet they would indeed. It's funny how films used to have such restrictions. Apparently the Italian Job finished the way it did because Michael Caine et al were a bunch of crooks and crime wasn't allowed to be shown to pay.
See also the Dirty Dozen (I wont elaborate too much on that as I've probably ruined the Italian Job for those who havent seen it).

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 09:39:41 PM »
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HcGBcJKalrQ
I got my son to help me with this and my head exploded. Anyway, that was a rather moving---I thought---version of Silent Night.