Author Topic: The Nutcracker Ballet  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

The Nutcracker Ballet
« on: December 14, 2008, 02:37:59 AM »
I took my daughter to see the Nutcracker ballet today - it was magical.

It just got me wondering if anyone here has taken ballet lessons when they were a kid?

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: The Nutcracker Ballet
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:08:39 AM »
Not ballet but I did a bit of Scottish country dancing, if that's any help. Sort of Swan Loch.

Rob Baker

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 03:25:19 PM »
 <-

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
I just had a vision of Mince doing ballet.

Pilchard Lake just doesn't have the same ring about it.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 05:20:52 AM »
Sorry I'm a bit late to this one.

I got kicked out of Scottish Country Dancing, I think I was about eight years old, for constantly dragging my partner around the floor. I believe there was a "she can't keep up" issue.

I've always been intolerant of artistic partners who can't match my genius. I tend to skip around the floor alone.

Joan

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »
I did ballet for a year when I was about 5.  We actually had a "proper" ballet teacher in Castle Douglas.  All I can remember is "walking" with pointed toes to "Lavender blue, dilly, dilly, lavender green.  I'll be your king, dilly, dilly.  You'll be my queen." or something like that.  It was not my thing, and the general consensus was that I was (going to be) too tall.  I already towered over everybody else, including the boys.  I have a sneaking suspicion that it was too hard for my Mum to get me there, as well.

I made the "B" team in the primary school Scottish Country Dancing.  The tall thing came up again when taking walzing lessons at an all girls' school.  I was always the man, with the result that I found it really hard to do anything other than a "shuffle" dance with a proper man, because I always wanted to lead, and never knew where to put my hands.   ;)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:39:12 PM »
I didn't get that Roger had made a joke at first - that sounded like a show I would go to.

Joan you have reminded me that I too should change my avatar for Christmas.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Zesty White

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »
I think everyone I know hated Christmas dancing, as it was known, at school. However, I must say I love a ceilidh now. The only trouble is that I like to spin quite fast and it can have devastating consequences - as the old lady at the Church ceilidh a few weeks ago will doubtless testify.
On the plus side, a ceilidh is a perfect excuse for a bit of underhand violence if the dancefloor is full enough and the targets are legitimate. A few years ago I went to a fundraising dinner and ceilidh for the Neuroscience Foundation at the Southern General Hospital. The strip the willow was a great method of sending some very pompous consultants home with a few extra bruises. The things you can blame on youthful exuberance.....