Author Topic: Unstoppable  (Read 8476 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Unstoppable
« on: March 27, 2007, 10:19:30 PM »
The purpose of this topic is to start a post but not actually finish it and instead allow the next poster to . . .

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: Unstoppable
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 11:52:37 PM »
... end it before it gets silly. Thank you.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:29:32 AM »
Neat manoeuvre, Peepsie - another potentially superficial and annoying thread nipped in the...
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 06:47:27 AM »
...what do you mean "another"?

As a time served member of a few cartoonist bulletin boards over many years, I would draw your attention to the absolute fact that there are only a number of cartoon-related subjects worth a light.
The rest is filler. Hopefully enjoyable filler which brings people together, but filler nonetheless.

Be patient. There will be another "what pencil do you use?" thread along in a short while.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 06:49:10 AM »
Nope Malc - the answer is "bud"

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 08:36:08 AM »
One glass of Ch?teau Sensitive too many mayhap?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 09:27:03 AM »
I don't understand any of this. Yesterday, my son's football team reached the final of the Scottish Schools Cup. It will be played at Hampden. I am soooooo chuffed.

Fyodor

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 10:28:29 AM »
Should that not be Sioux chuffed?

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 10:38:11 AM »
Vicarious congratulations to you, Roger!

At 17, I played for a Perth High School First XI in the semi-finals of the Scottish Cup against our deadly rivals, Harris Academy from Dundee. We lost 1-0, and their goal was scored be...erm...me. I still say it was a wicked deflection rather than an O.G., but I've lived with the shame for over 30 years now. Compounded by the fact that Harris went on to win the final at Hampden 11-0 a couple of weeks after we beat them in a lesser cup final, 4-2 after extra time (Ian Redford [remember him?] scoring a hat-trick). It is therefore a logical and mathematical certainty that had it not been for my foot getting in the way, we'd have gone on to the ultimate glory on the hallowed turf, nae bother at a'!

Give your lad a big hug from his Uncle Tarquin, and tell him to put one in the old onion bag for me!

(now you're going to tell me he's a goalkeeper, goes to Harris Academy, and they're playing Perth High in the final, aren't you?!! ::))
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 11:34:16 AM »
That's wonderful news, Roger. Perhaps a future Dundee Utd player in the making...

Or does he have ambition?  ;)
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 12:04:29 PM »
I leave this topic for just one day and already it's turned into a football topic. Right, that does it. I'm going to start turning topics into Doctor Who topics.

Malc

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 12:24:16 PM »
Chateau Experience, Tarquin. There is no defence against the Wandering Thread, we are all naive sophomores to its Freddy Krueger. Just lie back and think of Eglund.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 05:04:44 PM »
What a sad story, Tarky. I'd certainly go with the deflection theory rather than the o.g.
My son plays right midfield with Madras College, St Andrews (I don't know where the "college" bit comes from---it's the straightforward local secondary school). Anyway, the final is next month, under floodlights. What an experience for all the kids involved.

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »
Ah, yes - Madras (I'd be more interested to know how they got that part of the name) always seemed to put out pretty good sides back then too. I vaguely recall them playing in maroon - would that be right? Happy days!

Do let us know how your boy gets on - his old man wasn't half bad as a player himself!

I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »
That is very exciting for your son and whole family Roger ? I can see you all there on the stands cheering and twirling those wooden clackers (do they still have them?)

TTIII that was a sad story! But things are meant to be ? maybe you would have gone on and been head hunted by a professional team and then your life would be one big hassle of wealth and parties and coordinated outfits and women chasing you ? it could have been awful.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad