Author Topic: Flambards  (Read 5402 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Flambards
« on: April 02, 2007, 06:33:54 AM »
Does anyone remember this TV mini series from 1979?

I loved the series at the time - I fell in love with three out of the four lead actors - Will was always a little too whiney for me. Now my daughter and I are watching it together on video. 

Great landscapes, great music, great acting and a good moral tale - it was like being back there in 1910 to 1920 and witnessing the awakening of social reform...and there were some lovely horsies.  :)

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Diamond Lil

Re: Flambards
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 07:06:47 AM »
I know which one you mean but didn't see it...I was sort of busy in 1979 breaking an ankle, having a few medical problems resulting in 9 or 10 hospital trips... but the last one was to have my daughter so that was OK!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:45:23 AM »
...I fell in love with three out of the four lead actors...

That's very monognamous of you, Diane.
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »
Yeah, hippy!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 07:45:46 PM »
Lill ? what a nice surprise ? to go in to hospital with a broken ankle and come out with a baby.   

You missed a great series - you might be able to find it at your library as it was recently turned into DVDs. It would be a good series to watch with your daughter one rainy weekend.

We still have not yet got to the end of the 11.5 hour show - but I'm still in love with those three guys - well two really - one of them has been killed off at this point in the story. 

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 03:03:22 PM »
We finished watching Flambards last night - it made me cry again.  :'(

It is too bad no one here watched it because I think it would have made a great 'topic of the year'. We could have had Flambards Days where we all dress up in country tweeds and silk dresses.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 06:19:46 PM »
That's how I dress ALL the time.

Fyodor

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 06:46:35 PM »
Diane, I just met someone from Fort McMurray. Does that make them your next door neighbour?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 07:05:51 PM »
Fort McMurray is seven hours drive away ? they are north east of Edmonton. Two of my nieces lived up there for a few years each. It is like the old west ? people go up there to make the big bucks in the oil sands industry ? but there isn?t the housing or shops to support the population.

I went there once - it was very cold.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 10:58:05 PM »
I remember Flambards! It was that programme where the guys had a streak of white in their hair, wasn't it? Didn't one have an aeroplane too?It was one of those programes I just had to watch every week - like Poldark, Duchess of Duke Street, and 2000 Aces of Skye, which I adored!
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 11:01:51 PM »
The white streak was 'The Mallens' I think. Good to see you back, Peepsie. Mince missed you.

Aeroplane? Wasn't that Sir Freddie Laker?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 07:24:21 AM »
TTIII is right Nige - that was Mallens, Flambards was all about horses and hunting and the dying days of the country elite dominating the servant classes, juxtaposed with thrilling new inventions of the airplane and the motorcar and radical ideas of social reform.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 09:19:30 AM »
Flambards was all about horses and hunting and the dying days of the country elite dominating the servant classes, juxtaposed with thrilling new inventions of the airplane and the motorcar and radical ideas of social reform.

But mainly horsies?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 02:10:04 PM »
Yup, mainly horsies.

Colin

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 02:13:57 AM »
I dont remember Flambards at all.
The "series" I do remember were Roots, of which I have the full video collection (available for hire) and The Holocaust with Meryl Streep.
I have asked people my own age if they remembered The Holocaust, the series, not the event, and they said no.
The other collection I have is Band of Brothers, Top Notch.

None of this helps a bit, does it?