Author Topic: How to Change a Toilet Seat!  (Read 4323 times)

Vulture

How to Change a Toilet Seat!
« on: June 06, 2009, 05:32:09 PM »
I'm knackered!

How is one is supposed to change a toilet seat on a toilet that is wedged between a wall and a bath?

I can remember fitting the old one - I was a young and spritely 50 year old - but now I've reached 62+ I can't bend down like I used to, and I certainly can't fit in the gap between the bath and the toilet. I have managed to get the seat off but the bloody metal rod/screws remain in place because the plastic nut thingys can't be turned digitally or with pliers or with spanners! To my surprise, using man-type navvy language also seems to have no effect!

I have smothered the rods with vaseline (can't find my WD40..) and, after a cup of coffee liberally laced with Tia Maria, I'll have another bash at it!   @*%$

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: How to Change a Toilet Seat!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 05:53:34 PM »
Is this another of those "Ask Roger" questions? He's on holiday. Mince will have to use his vast intellect to help you.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 06:27:33 PM »
Is this another of those "Ask Roger" questions? He's on holiday. Mince will have to use his vast intellect to help you.

Peeps, I want to get this toilet seat changed today - not sometime in the next three years!

I've poured some lemon juice down the thread; I've been reliably informed by google that this will help! I'm just going to get my rubber gloves on and have another try.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 09:08:05 PM »
No good with missing toilet seats. I need something to go on...

peter

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 10:14:20 PM »

Peeps, I want to get this toilet seat changed today - not sometime in the next three years!

Dont ask Mince to do any DIY he will not that way inclined.

Vulture

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 10:17:17 PM »
No good with missing toilet seats. I need something to go on...

So do I, but as I am here on my own, I can live with it until tomorrow. I managed to unscrew one of the plastic nuts but I can't seem to undo the other one left-handed (which is odd, because I AM left-handed... ???). If all else fails, I'll start searching for the hacksaw.

Malc

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 10:39:05 PM »
Vuch, it's not clear what the problem is, I realise that there may be a restricted area involved, but if it's just the tightness of the plastic nut to the plastic bolt, can't you use a spanner, adjustable or otherwise?

Vulture

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 05:52:17 AM »
Vuch, it's not clear what the problem is, I realise that there may be a restricted area involved, but if it's just the tightness of the plastic nut to the plastic bolt, can't you use a spanner, adjustable or otherwise?

Malc, please see my original post. I have used every likely tool that I have in my possession; spanner, pliers, monkey wrench, fingers! I have managed to get the right-hand plastic nut disengaged from the right-hand METAL bolt, but the left-hand one has defeated me. I've even tried to melt the damn thing off!

After I've had my morning coffee, I'm going to have another try.

Joan

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 06:55:35 AM »
You're up early for a Sunday morning, Vulch!  I was going to say, Malc - do not tighten the plastic bolts with spanners!  Tightening them with your fingers is enough to snap them in two, in my experience.  I have gone through so many of the bloody things, and the ones we have are out of date, of course.  Need to get my act together and go get some new loo seats anyway.  The builders got some sort of glue on ours which only started to show as they got older and more difficult to clean!  You'd think they'd think up something more efficient to attach the seats and easier to clean as well - especially when you have young (and some older) boys in the house.  How on earth do they manage to get it there?  There was a very funny Two and A Half Men on the other day where Berta, the scary housekeeper, made Jake (the little boy) scrub his own toilet and bathroom every time he went to the loo.

I feel for you, Vulch!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »

I have used every likely tool

Oh... I was going to suggest you asked Mince, but too late...

Vulture

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 08:59:54 AM »

I have used every likely tool

Oh... I was going to suggest you asked Mince, but too late...

;D ;D ;D

I've finally given in and texted No 2 son (19-stone body-builder). It's too early for him to be awake but I'm hoping he can come round sometime today and rip the bloody thing out of the toilet!! 

Vulture

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 09:05:15 AM »
You're up early for a Sunday morning, Vulch!  I was going to say, Malc - do not tighten the plastic bolts with spanners!  Tightening them with your fingers is enough to snap them in two, in my experience.  I have gone through so many of the bloody things, and the ones we have are out of date, of course.  Need to get my act together and go get some new loo seats anyway.  The builders got some sort of glue on ours which only started to show as they got older and more difficult to clean!  You'd think they'd think up something more efficient to attach the seats and easier to clean as well - especially when you have young (and some older) boys in the house.  How on earth do they manage to get it there?  There was a very funny Two and A Half Men on the other day where Berta, the scary housekeeper, made Jake (the little boy) scrub his own toilet and bathroom every time he went to the loo.

I feel for you, Vulch!

Joan, I'm trying to loosen it - also, the bolt isn't plastic, just the nut.  I've decided to smother the new bolt (metal) with vaseline before I put the new plastic nut on, to hopefully make it easier to change in another 10 years time!

Joan

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »
How come everybody else can quote and I can't?

I was just warning Malc, in case he tried it - I wouldn't be surprised if the plastic ones crack when you loosen them too.  Sounds good - at least the metal ones don't seem to loosen like the plastic ones.

Joan

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 09:14:48 AM »
... and that post doesn't make sense.  I'm off to have dinner.

Vulture

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 09:31:51 AM »
How come everybody else can quote and I can't?

I was just warning Malc, in case he tried it - I wouldn't be surprised if the plastic ones crack when you loosen them too.  Sounds good - at least the metal ones don't seem to loosen like the plastic ones.

They always seem to be plastic nuts over here. I've NEVER had a plastic nut loosen, which is why I always have a problem getting the damn things off whenever I have to renew a seat!