Author Topic: York.  (Read 4176 times)

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
York.
« on: August 05, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »
My good lady and I are off to York this weekend for a night at the theatre. It's an adaptation of The Railway Children and has had rave reviews from the broadsheets. Interestingly, it's being staged at the York Railway Museum and features a real steam engine. OOO!!! Needless to say, we're making the effort because my pal, Colin Tarrant, is in it. The man has obviously gone downhill since voicing Beau Peep in the ill-fated animation series so I like to offer my support.
Anyway, I'll probably be absent from here, Friday till Sunday, so any burning issues/life-changing questions should be posted immediately.

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: York.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 11:20:12 PM »
Hope they let you pull the whistle Cassy Jones.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Joan

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 01:10:34 AM »
You're just showing off, Roger. I have actually heard of him - don't know many famous Brits these days.  Know in the sense of recognise, that is. Don't know any famous ones either.  ;D

Joan

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:28:16 AM »
Oh gosh! Except for you, of course, Roger.  :-* Have a good time in York.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:43:23 AM by Joan »

Zesty White

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 11:59:02 AM »
OK quick poll. Of all the men who are members on this site, is there any of you who can watch the iconic 'My Daddy!' scene from the Railway Children without it bringing a tear to the eye?  :'(

Honestly, if I were an actor required to cry on cue for some show, I'd ask the director to show me that bit on DVD before they said action.

I'm filling up just thinking about it....

Vulture

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »
Honestly! Do you think, Zesty, that there's one bloke on this site that will admit to 'a tear in the eye' for anything less than a sledge-hammer in the b@ll@cks!  ..0

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »
To be honest, Zesty, I can't even remember the scene you're talking about---it's a long time since I saw the film. But there ARE films which get to me. I was virtually inconsolable during Mr. Holland's Opus. Good Grief, man, I used to sob quietly during episodes of Little House On The Prairie.

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:52:02 AM »
Home again after a splendid night in York. The play was hugely enjoyable, with the audience sitting either side of a railway track and a real engine puffing in and out. An amazing production and well worth the five stars awarded by The Guardian critic.
Socially, we had a great time as well, meeting up with Colin after the show for a few drinks and a meal. We were also joined by Trudie Goodwin (she was June Ackland in The Bill) and her husband, Kit, who turned out to be a smashing couple---very friendly and unassuming. My ignorance of the current pop scene means that I had no idea their daughter is Elly Jackson, the lead singer of a band called La Roux. I'm told they are a jolly successful beat combo.
Anyway, back to work...

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 10:12:21 AM »
We went to Pizza Hut.  :(

How the other 'arf lives.

Anyway, back to work...
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »
Did Colin ask after me, Roger?

Do they still go "Eee" in York, as in "Eee bah gum"?

Personally, I'd bar that kind of silly exclamation.

Yes, I'd have a York "Eee" bar.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »
Did Colin ask after me, Roger?

Do they still go "Eee" in York, as in "Eee bah gum"?

Personally, I'd bar that kind of silly exclamation.

Yes, I'd have a York "Eee" bar.

Oh, dear, Peeps. You really should continue taking the tablets as prescribed.  <-

Zesty White

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 12:11:11 PM »
To be honest, Zesty, I can't even remember the scene you're talking about---it's a long time since I saw the film. But there ARE films which get to me. I was virtually inconsolable during Mr. Holland's Opus. Good Grief, man, I used to sob quietly during episodes of Little House On The Prairie.

Now, I'm not technologically minded so I dont know how to embed youtube clips and stuff, but if you follow the link, then you'll see it. Just make sure you have tissues handy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXyxgLMmK8

PS, did Colin Tarrant play Bernard Cribbens in the play?

Zesty White

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 12:11:56 PM »
Okaaaaay, so it seems I dont need to be technologically minded. The internet fairy works wonders.....

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »

The internet fairy works wonders.....

Yes, Mince set it up, but you might make him get big-headed.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 08:01:53 PM »

Now, I'm not technologically minded so I dont know how to embed youtube clips and stuff, but if you follow the link, then you'll see it. Just make sure you have tissues handy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXyxgLMmK8

PS, did Colin Tarrant play Bernard Cribbens in the play?
Can't talk. Sobbing.