Author Topic: An online poll.  (Read 9599 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
An online poll.
« on: September 19, 2009, 08:29:13 PM »
I was directed to a site which includes a poll of the most popular Beau Peep characters. (It's massive--when I looked, 18 people had voted). The top three were...
Egon....28%.
Dennis...22%.
The Nomad...17%.
I found this reasonably interesting.

indi

Re: An online poll.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 09:19:15 PM »
For me its a toss up between Dennis and the Nomad... Although I love the "Honest Abdul" strips, more for the nomads stupidity than anything else though :)

Total stupidity is by far the funniest. So they both rank right up there.

Zesty White

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 05:27:10 AM »
For me, it's hard to top the Nomad. Although I did always like Dirk B Slaughter...I'm led to believe that the B stands for Bloodbath  :)

Rob Baker

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
For Zesty... (sorry about the quality, but these were printed in Dec'84 and they've faded a bit).....

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 08:54:33 PM »
There are several things that come to mind when I look at this 25 year-old series....
We used four-frame strips, rather than three, quite a lot in those days.
It was nice to see Beau Peep Christmas cards advertised for sale.
Sometimes, I write a load of crap.
When this was published, the strip had been running for six years and this series looks like a conscious effort on my behalf to introduce a new character. Although Sergeant Slaughter has appeared several times since then, I don't think he has ever really worked. This sequence is, basically, not very good. Or funny.
Ah, well.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 11:50:59 PM »
It depends what mood you are in as to whether Sergeant Slaughter is funny or not. If you have PMS - he's hilarious.  ;D
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 12:00:15 AM »
It depends what mood you are in as to whether Sergeant Slaughter is funny or not. If you have PMS - he's hilarious.  ;D

How did you know that's the only time Roger finds him funny?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 02:02:52 AM »
Quick Nige - do I have the right "whether" before Mince shows up?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »

Yep - that's a pretty fair "Whether", friend.

Anyway, why are you worrying about Pilchard-Brain? He doesn't seem to be frequenting the corridors of these portals these days. Maybe he's got another bird.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »
Maybe he's got another bird.

I have this strange sense of deja vu here, but "another"?
I apologise, in advance.

Zesty White

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
Cheers for that Rob  :) I've always found him funny I have to say. I suppose the threats of unnecessary violence make him a bit like Mad Pierre with rank....

Malc

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 10:42:25 AM »
The problem with Sergeant Slaughter is that within the pages of a family newspaper you're proscribed from making him appreciably more frightening than Bidet. If he sacrificed babies to Satan, well...that's something Bidet wouldn't have done, at least.

I'm also impressed with your self-assessment of the strips, Roger. It's why you're so good at what you do.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »

I've been reflecting on this since my last reply, trying to come up with a wittier retort.

I actually think it's a decent spell of whether.

Jack

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »

I've been reflecting on this since my last reply, trying to come up with a wittier retort.

I actually think it's a decent spell of whether.

Nice to see you've made good use of the last two and a half years.

There are several things that come to mind when I look at this 25 year-old series....
We used four-frame strips, rather than three, quite a lot in those days.
It was nice to see Beau Peep Christmas cards advertised for sale.
Sometimes, I write a load of crap.
When this was published, the strip had been running for six years and this series looks like a conscious effort on my behalf to introduce a new character. Although Sergeant Slaughter has appeared several times since then, I don't think he has ever really worked. This sequence is, basically, not very good. Or funny.
Ah, well.

I would like to say that I enjoyed this sequence. The character himself may not be hugely funny, but the other characters' reactions to him are. The pause, followed by Dennis offering him a sweetie (the second strip Rob posted) still makes me laugh.

Oh, and I prefer 4-frame to 3-frame too.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 09:56:15 PM »
Jack, Andrew REALLY prefers the 3-frame format over the 4-frame one but that's artists for you!
I don't know if you see the Daily Star these days but Beau Peep is allocated a miniscule amount of space and, on a practical note, it makes sense to stick with three frames. On the few occasions that I add an extra one, it tends to be wordless---for example, a silent reaction from Beau (to something Dennis has said) before delivering the punchline.
This job isn't easy, you know. Well, it is but I'm hardly likely to admit it.