Author Topic: Our American friends.  (Read 4222 times)

Calvin

Our American friends.
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:13:39 PM »

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

It's like a train-wreck, you're horrified and fascinated at the same time.
There are about 500 pics, if you view them all in one go I bet you find your mouth gaping a few times and your head shaking even more.
Coupla Canadians in there too, although they don't specify which city, what it being so small and all and due to be the 51st state anyway.

Malc

Re: Our American friends.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 12:24:52 AM »
OK, I was up to page 42 before I decided to reclaim my life. Very moorish, those.

Joan

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 02:49:17 AM »
Friends keep emailing these to me - please don't tell me there are 500, we'd only be up to about 60 so far.   <-

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:43:54 AM »
I take it that you Calivin are the perfect example of the human form?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Calvin

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 06:14:38 AM »
It's amazing how often I've been told that very thing.  ;)

For me, the focus of that site isn't the human form, it's all about the attire and the attitude. Also a snapshot of some real Americans, outside of Hollywood, some of which, yes I confess, I find hilarious.

Malc

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »
Some of those jumpers I actually owned. My mum bought one for me every Christmas. And you should remember the jumpsuits are on SALE somewhere, so someone thinks they're marketable.

The ones I feel we shouldn't be looking and laughing at are the people who obviously have psychological issues, and I include the cross dressers in that, though these days it's VERY unfashionable to say so, especially with Eddie Izzard front and centre (and luuuuurved by the cognoscenti).

No, you're not a pervert or evil if you cross dress, you're just odd, and the level of my distrust would vary as to the level of your dysfunctional dress sense. A little nail polish on a man wouldn't necessarily dissuade me from employing him in an arty-type job, but a beard with tutu, bare legs and high heels....? It's a barrier to promotion, let's say.

Malc

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 07:48:47 AM »
Let me add that a little bit of gender fusion is nothing. We have our own more serious sad cases in the UK. One of the tabloid web sites had footage of a faintly normal-looking man surreptitiously sniffing the bottom of a male supermarket worker numerous times.

I'm sure there are people out there who would see this as weird and annoying but ultimately harmless. Wrong. More often this behaviour flags a much more serious condition, and if it's not handled well, it could end in tragedy for the perpetrator OR innocent victims down the line.

Feather

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:30:45 AM »
Well, I am an American and I shop at WalMart sometimes and I certainly do not look like these people.  I imagine one could go to any country and find people to ridicule. I noticed some things about the British...

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »
Yep - you could do the same thing with a camera at Stan's Superstore just round the corner from me, with similar results... or at least judging from the four images I managed to get through before terminal boredom set in. Sorry, Calvin - I was neither horrified nor fascinated, and like our friends across the Pond, I wasn't too impressed by the way it was presented.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 01:47:57 PM »
I noticed some things about the British...

Let's not bring Mince into this.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Calvin

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 02:15:31 PM »
I too shop at Wal-mart...regularly.
I tried to pick my words carefully lest I offend..."some Americans"..."some of which" etc. and I guess I failed.
At this point I've lived 25 years on each side of the pond so yes, I realize that the British do have their members of the very same club.
What I do find funny is the absurd...the ordinary looking thirty something woman standing in line with a huge swastika on the front of her hoodie and a ho-hum expression...standing next to a group of black youths.
The old beater of a car with the home-made wooden spoiler riveted to the boot.
Also the comically obvious stereotype of which there are many examples.
Both of these subjects a staple of the cartoonist.
Yes, not all the images are funny, and some are downright unfortunate, maybe I have more resiliency to wade through those to find the ones that tickle me.
Never intended to offend anyone although I really don't mind tweaking our American cousins now and then, it keeps them honest.
Hopefully this thread doesn't get away on us. 

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »
Calvin, allow me clue you in, so we can try and like you.

“Never intended to offend anyone” How do you reconcile this with: “Coupla Canadians in there too, although they don't specify which city, what it being so small and all and due to be the 51st state anyway.” Of course you were trying to offend. Offending is acceptable – lying BS is not. Just to be clear it is your apology that is offensive not your picking on Canadians.

We don’t pick on people or put others down to make ourselves seem better as a general rule (which is why this thread bommed) – except of course Mince you may pick on him – except on his birthday. 

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »
[...]
No, you're not a pervert or evil if you cross dress, you're just odd, and the level of my distrust would vary as to the level of your dysfunctional dress sense. A little nail polish on a man wouldn't necessarily dissuade me from employing him in an arty-type job, but a beard with tutu, bare legs and high heels....? It's a barrier to promotion, let's say.

So it's not the cross dressing you have a problem with but more the poor fashion sense?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »
Diane is right. We do try and treat everyone with respect on this forum, even that twat, Mince.

I like to think that our egalitarianism is what sets this forum apart.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Tom

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 08:29:54 PM »
Ye Gods Peeps, egal what ??? >>>Trying to find a dictionary quick>>>