Author Topic: Our American friends.  (Read 4260 times)

Calvin

Re: Our American friends.
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 11:06:56 PM »
Hmmm, tough crowd,
Diane I put the joke up there just for you to bite on, and like the thread I guess, it bombed too. Or else that was the sound you heard as it sailed by.
I am Canadian.
It was just the old chestnut parody of America not knowing anything about us despite our proximity, which you see a million times on Air Farce and with Rick Mercer. It was meant to get a grin not offend.
Self deprication is a corner-stone of comedy here, but a lot of times, if you're looking for offensive that's what you'll find.
Diane, I've never put another down to make myself seem better in my life, but humour about the human condition can be a walk on a knife edge ,apparently I slipped, fell and straddled that edge on this one.
See how quickly these threads can get away.
Happy Holidays to all to bring back a little perspective.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 11:48:08 PM »

I am Canadian.

Now you tell us. Typical bloody Canadian!  :\
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 11:51:08 PM »
Can we all get off Calvin now? His lips are turning purple.

So it's not the cross dressing you have a problem with but more the poor fashion sense?
Yes. Sort of. I'm a student of these things. The poorer the fashion sense, the deeper the malaise and the more stark the warning signs, that's how it goes.

"Cross dressing" constitutes a broad church, and you have the real trannies, cafe latte sophisticates whom Eddie Izzard represents, mixed up with those who, to put it simply, have mental problems. In that, cross dresser demographics mirror those of broader society.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 11:59:30 PM »
I'm all for fresh starts Calvin  :)

Glad to see that you don't get too dramatic about things.  ..0   (see that was funny because of your slipping on the knife comment)

It is more that Wal mart people bashing is just not my cup of tea - I think that, generally speaking, people that make fun of unfortunate/stupid/phychotic/ugly/fat/bear-assed people with weird hairdoos are just mean. So your putting up that link may have prejudiced me against you - maybe people who enjoy such humour aren't all bad and I should go into the New Year with a fairer attitude.

And Happy Holidays to you too.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 12:03:03 AM »
I'm all for fresh starts Calvin  :)
people that make fun of unfortunate/stupid/phychotic/ugly/fat/bear-assed people with weird hairdoos are just mean.

Be fair! How often do I mention Mince?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Calvin

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 12:08:01 AM »
Malc,
I think one of the very first warning signs is being a "student of these things"

Calvin

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 12:42:58 AM »

Now you tell us. Typical bloody Canadian! 

I'm deeply offended by that I'll have you know.

OK, which brings up a tangent subject. What is a typical, or stereo-typical Canadian to you guys?  I had no clue when I first arrived here what to expect. I had my own version of most of the world's nationalities, Australian, German...Frog Frenchman  etc. but a Canadian? no. New Zealand is another tough one to come up with.
Don't know how to post a link to Youtube but check out Bob and Doug Mckenzie on there, that's a homegrown one. (Not all that funny)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 12:52:46 AM »
Checked shirt, large boots, chops down trees and eats pancakes with maple syrup. Not sure about the men though.
I apologise, in advance.

Jack

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 01:03:50 AM »
I'm aware (from US TV shows) of an American stereotype of Canadians, where they say "Eh" a lot, at the end of sentences.

While I'm not well-travelled and have met very few Canadians, none of those have ever said "eh".

So what's the truth behind that particular story? Is it total rubbish, or have I just not met enough Canadians?

In addition, I really liked the television show "Due South". And the Canadian protagonist in that never said "eh" either.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 01:56:01 AM »
I ordered the full set (3 seasons) of Due South for xmas on eBay and it is late getting here - but it was a great show; my kids were too young or not born when it came out.

I took out my Canadian citizenship after my first son was born - just in case the UK got into a war and drafted me for my special skills.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Malc

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 08:17:44 AM »
I think one of the very first warning signs is being a "student of these things"
That's the type of response I would expect from a closet trannie. Those slingbacks don't do a thing for you, dear, and if you're going to wear that dress, at least shave your back.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 09:51:20 AM »
I've mentioned this before but I once heard an American describe Canadians as "Mexicans with jumpers".

Offline Max

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 01:01:43 PM »
Roger,

Could have been Kate, I heard her mention "Mexicans with sweaters" a few times, there was no venom in the remark though.

Have to say when we were in Vancouver and on Vancouver island our friends DID tend to  use "eh" at the end of sentences.

God knows what they thought of my Glaswegian accent in return, seem to recall "excuse me?" being used rather a lot after I spoke.  ;D

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 01:39:46 PM »
You're right, Max. I'm sure it was Kate and, as you say, all in fun.

Calvin

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 02:17:53 PM »
When I first arrived with a broad Geordie accent it was just a lot of blank looks, nods and smiles. Much the same from my end when I met my first Newfies.
You do get the odd "eh" in Ontario but not much. It's being used in the official "Canada Olympic Cheer" that's being promoted for the coming event. In keeping with the theme of the thread, some aren't amused as it perpetuates the stereo-type. Go figure.