Author Topic: TV Series  (Read 3198 times)

Calvin

TV Series
« on: January 05, 2010, 05:08:03 AM »
12 days off work, most consecutive days I've had in a long time.
I thought I'd put it to constructive use and do the couch potato thing.
It was as good as a vacation for re-charging the ol' batteries.
A friend got me the complete "Rome" series for Xmas...watched that..excellent.I have all the "West Wing"series...watched all those...again, still  the best written TV series I've ever seen. Finally found James Michener's "Centennial"mini-series of the 70's after years of searching, out of the blue, the whole thing on DVD...great.
Today a friend of mine gave me the complete first season of "Auf Wiedersein Pet" so I'm all antsy to start on that.
What's the TV series that does it for you? Or what is the one from the past that you'd love to have on DVD now.
I know I'd love to sit and watch "Boys From The Black Stuff" all the way through again.
I'm not an avid TV watcher but now and again they do make some good ones.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:28:03 AM by Calvin »

Calvin

Re: TV Series
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:46:59 AM »
Well now, after suffering pangs of nostalgia from some of the TV shows mentioned above, the series "Scully" just popped into my head. Another Classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxwVCShtqx4[/url]

Hmm, now I'm starting to get maudlin.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:38:28 AM »

now I'm starting to get maudlin.

I don't remember that series.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:24:53 AM »
Loved the first series of "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" in particular ("The basstads killed me Granny!"), and "Boys From The Black Stuff" was an epic (Yosser to priest - "I'm desperate, Father!". Priest - "Call me Dan.". Yosser - "I'm Desperate, Dan!"....you had to be there).

Here's one I loved also, starring Adam Faith and the magnificent Iain Cuthbertson. Not the best clip (couldn't find much) but some interesting behind-the-scenes footage none the less...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S6F1cqK8xc&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh+div-1r-1-HM
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 04:14:59 PM »
I have a few British TV series on our shelf: To the Manor Born; The Good Life(Good Neighbours); Fawlty Towers; All Creatures Great & Small; Some Dad’s Army; Flambards and have just ordered No, Honestly which I saw when I was about 10, after recently watching Shirley Valentine for the first time, I wondered what that show with Pauline Collins would look like to my adult eye.

I tend to pull Fawlty Towers out each xmas to keep myself sane.

My son has the first four years of House – I used to like the show before I watched too many in a row and started to think he was just a whiny git and should get his leg amputated. Some things are best just weekly. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Diamond Lil

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 08:19:12 PM »
You should have stuck with it...one of my all-time favourites.  I have to wait until it comes out on DVD and the last series had a couple of cracking episodes to finish...so it was you sending all those bad vibes?  Now the poor soul has had a breakdown and was last seen limping into a mental institution

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 10:13:34 PM »
I could never take "House" seriously because of Hugh Laurie. Yes, I know he was very good in it but I still couldn't accept his American accent and he will forever be linked to "Blackadder" for me.
There's a recent T.V. series which is quite good called "Outnumbered"----a British sitcom where the performances of the child actors are truly astonishing. They were apparently allowed to adlib most of their lines and the result is incredible. Worth watching simply for the daughter---I guess she's about eight---who is jaw-droppingly talented.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 11:48:32 PM »
I agree, Roger. I've not seen many episodes, and only stumbled on the show by accident a while back (long since having given up on British sitcoms), but I was captivated by it, and particularly the performances of the kids. Very funny, and very natural.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 11:57:19 PM »
I remember when you gave up on British sit-coms, but, come on, The Rag Trade wasn't that bad.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 12:34:03 AM »
Actually, I rather enjoyed that one. It was Bootsie & Snudge that killed it for me. Never could see the funny side of Alfie Bass.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 02:48:55 AM »
Yes Minister
Yes Prime MInister
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Colin

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
Band of Brothers

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »
Band of Brothers

Yes, that's what we are. A band of brothers, (with a few birds, and one pilchard).

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »
I hear that Speilberg and Hanks (who brought us Band Of Brothers) have produced a new series about Iwo Jima which is to be screened later this year.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 07:27:53 PM »
I hear that Speilberg and Hanks (who brought us Band Of Brothers) have produced a new series about Iwo Jima which is to be screened later this year.

Great. I can read that post again when I need to get to sleep tonight.