Author Topic: "Getting to know me..."  (Read 12023 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Re: "Getting to know me..."
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 11:35:41 PM »
I went into a bar next door to a small hotel we had booked into, and immediately some young girls started rubbing up against me. I made a hasty exit. Well, not immediately - I didn't want to appear rude.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 06:23:39 AM »
Billthehut, I dread to ask this, as you are almost the same age as me, but were you an army brat, and if so, where did you go to school, and where in Dorset do you now reside?

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 07:08:54 AM »
You got me. Yes, I was an army brat. Before signing up, I've lived in Singapore, Paderborn, Tidworth, Ashford, Limassol, Weeton Camp (Kirkham Grammar), Herford (Kings School, Gutersloh), Munster (Edinburgh School), Thirsk (Welbeck), Bulford, Camberley.
I now live north of Bournemouth.

Jack

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 11:56:29 AM »
This topic officially breaks the forum's record for use of brackets (probably, I haven't actually checked).

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »
But does the sentence make sense - and is it understandable or readable?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 12:33:08 PM »
And (crucially) do we care?
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 12:38:37 PM »
I thought so. My campaign ribbons read, Malta, Cyprus (Limassol) Herford (Ulmenstrasse), Larkhill, (Wiltshire), Barme, Verden, Prince Rupert's (Wilhelmshaven) Windsor Boys (Hamm),  Blandford Forum (Dorset).

You're not one of the Surrey Billthehuts, by any chance...?

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 12:43:58 PM »
OK.  Now we're talking... When in Limassol? When in Blandford (I'm currently working from the on Dad's Army site there).

Don't know what you mean by one of the Surrey bilthehuts.  Have lived in Surrey a number of times but no relations (or  roots) there.

Have we met? I'm sure I don't owe you any money!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:46:02 PM by Bilthehut »

Malc

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »
Forget the Surrey Billthehuts, it's a gag. Like there's anyone called Billthehut in Surrey or anywhere....  ..0

Limassol when I was little, maybe 1959 (from 3yrs to 6yrs old) Blandford Forum (Blandford Camp, mostly) from 1973 to 1975.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 01:08:33 PM »
See, I still take things literally.  You might have known I'd lived there (Camberley was a clue).

Limassol has changed considerably since yours and my time (1965-66).  Dad was in the UN at Zyyig Camp.

Blandford Camp will be unrecognisable now.

For Herford, read 'I lived in Enger, near Herford (1969 - remembered 'cos I was watching the moon after Neil made his 'one small step'.

Vulture

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 01:50:44 PM »
Bilthehut, just clarify something for me: are you 'Bil the hut' or 'Bill the hut'? Malc is driving me mad!

Malc

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 01:55:06 PM »
I forgot to mention my dad was actually POSTED to Glasgow. I lived in Maryhill from about '67 to '69. He took me to my first day at Shakespeare Rd Primary School dressed in his full recruiting sergeant regalia (including red sash) just as the whole f*cking school was lining up to go into the building. They all started goosestepping around and I had a fight every playtime for a year.

When the first man landed on the moon I had my head in my mother's lap as she checked me for nits.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 02:06:40 PM »
Vulture,

Split the trigram, ignore the middle one (it's a red herring), replicate the last letter of the first first one, and add 157 Stone 6.62 Pounds (in metric to the end of the last one, and you have my name.

Malc,

I didn't have that problem, thankfully, until I was sent to Kirkham GC.  I was the only one from Weeton who passed the 11+, and had a taxi ride every day to school.  The school was awful, apart form some of the meals.  When my dad was posted to Germany the following year, I was asked whether I wanted to stay at Kirkham as a boarder, or come to Germany.  There was no competition.  It was great being in schools where all the kids know what the forces were about, and the problems of making friends.  Sadly, I have lost touch with them all over time due to constantly moving around. 

Vulture

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 02:53:15 PM »
Vulture,

Split the trigram, bil the hut
ignore the middle one bil the hut
 (it's a red herring), No, it's not. It's 'the'
replicate the last letter of the first first one, l
 and add 157 Stone 6.62 Pounds ( ? in metric to the end of the last one, and you have my name.

You're taking the 'p', aren't you?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
Bill Hut(ton) - no, he's not.
I apologise, in advance.