Author Topic: Funny song I can't remember  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Funny song I can't remember
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »
This is a long shot, but ...
Does any of the musically inclined/intelligent/whatever on this forum know the singer or title to a humorous song I am trying to identify.

It has something to do with 'the reason why xxxxx can't come to work today' and is based on a building site.
It involves the tale of someone (named) trying to get a load of bricks from the top of a building to the bottom, using a manual lift (thingy).
He loads the lift and goes to the ground floor to undo the lift rope.  As he does so he realises that the brick load is heavier than he is and, as the load descends, he is propelled upward.  There's more..
He meets the load halfway up the building, smashing his head.  He continues to the top as the load descends to the ground.  He smashes his fingers in the pulley at the top.  The load hits the bottom, losing some bricks.  The load, now lighter than the man, ascend rapidly, with a corresponding descent for the man.  They meet again halfway, where the load smashes into his legs.  There's more ...
He descends to the bottom in a heap, the load hits the pulley at the top where more bricks are released.  The bricks fall and hit the man.  He lets go of the rope.  And there's more ...
Having let go of the rope, the remaining bricks and load descend and land on the man.

And that's why xxxxx won't be coming into work today.

The song is sung/spoken with an Irish accent (no stereotyping here) and the timing is perfect.  It is a great example of slapstick humour - and I want to hear it again.

Can anyone remember it??

Vulture

Re: Funny song I can't remember
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:26:32 PM »
No.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:39:03 PM »
Gerard Hoffnung did a monologue about it.

This is what you're thinking of:

Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:52:24 PM »
Peeps,

Thanks a million.  That was  it.  I still have tears running down my face after hearing it again.

Bil ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »
This was Gerard Hoffnung's original...

Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟