Author Topic: A day in the life...  (Read 3561 times)

Diamond Lil

Re: A day in the life...
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 07:01:38 AM »
6.45 coffee, toast and a handful of tablets.  Shout at the radio relaying the results of last night’s political three-ring circus. Email, BP forum and try another of Diane’s quizzes (I used to be good at knowing European capitals but now that I can’t even spell some of the countries, I just get frustrated and the time runs out...too late to realise Rumania is now Romania).  7.30 into the shower, hoping the heat will coax this ageing body into functioning at some level because the handful of tablets hasn’t kicked in yet.

8.15 and only a quick hello to my colleague because then the phone rings...don’t these patients know I haven’t had my 2nd cup of coffee yet?
Me: “Good morning.  Doctor’s surgery.  You’re through to Lesley”
Patient: “Oh I’m glad it’s you; you always sound so cheery (mental note to ask for a pay rise since I’m obviously a treasure worth keeping). I’ve got a sore big toe and can’t walk and have to see a doctor because you’re not open at weekends are you?”
Me: silent agreement, mainly because that’s been the case for 6 years.
Patient: “I’ll have to be seen because you’ll be closed on Monday for the Bank Holiday.”
Me: “We’re not closed...we’re like the Windmill Theatre, we never close” (don’t know why I bother with the light-hearted banter because this patient doesn’t know we were at war for 6 years last century).
Patient: “I still have to be seen and I can’t get there for a morning appointment because I’m at work.”
Finally finish conversation and about to start coffee...

Me: “Good morning.  Doctor’s surgery.  You’re through to Lesley”
Patient : “Are you closed on Monday for the Bank Holiday?”
Me: “No.  Would you like an appointment?”
Patient: “No.  I’m just phoning to see if you’re open in case I need an appointment.”

Rest of day follows similar pattern except for a break at lunchtime for a Practice meeting where lead partner announces knuckles have been rapped for coming second in our area for prescribing costs per patient.  Resounding cheer and promises from the doctors to try harder next year.  Antibiotics issued to all staff in a show of things to come.

6.15 and I lock up and walk home in the sunshine.  Meal, email, BP forum and try that stupid BP quiz again but back to painfully slow result. Evening seems to flash by.  Switch on TV for 10.00 news.  Shout at the three-ring circus going on in the corner of my living room.
Go to bed.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 09:27:02 AM »
 ;D

Go see Iron Man, Lil - you'll get a few new ideas on how to deal with those patients.
I apologise, in advance.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 10:06:34 AM »
Thanks, Tarks....does it matter if I go just to lust over RDJ :P

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »
Not at all, Lil - that's what My better half did. That, and banging her head to the AC/DC soundtrack. Glad I wore a hat - the combination of the two had drool flying everywhere!  :-\
I apologise, in advance.

Malc

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »
Joan, I used to live where Bil now describes, at one time I was a Blandford Camp resident and later moved to Blandford Forum itself. Yes, those roads are pretty much as you imagine. Postman Pat Land, I like to call it.

Jack

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 01:19:33 PM »
Patient: “No.  I’m just phoning to see if you’re open in case I need an appointment.”

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Joan

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 12:38:09 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Classic!  You must have oodles of patience, Lil!

Joan

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 12:57:51 AM »
I shall be seeing the Iron Man(s) mainly for the drool factor, too, Lil.  8) Just had a look for the Iron Man DVD online and it's either out of stock or exceedingly expensive for some reason.  Will have a look in the shops next time I'm allowed out.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 11:52:09 AM »
I should add that I didn't make up any of that day.  Tomorrow will bring at least half a dozen calls from patients just phoning up to see if we're open. 
Joan - this final job of mine has been so good for my patience factor, although some of those calls have us all banging our heads on the desk when we finally get to put the phone back down!

Tom

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 12:21:21 PM »
People on the phone can be infuriatingly, and unintentionally, funny at times. After the call, that is.