Author Topic: You Row Viz Shone  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: You Row Viz Shone
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 10:17:06 PM »
Well, I'm sticking with Romania to win, but have Cyprus, Greece & Armenia only one point behind. UK wasn't quite the worst, that was Israel. Oh, and Norway (they obviously don't want host it again next year).

The tension mounts...
I apologise, in advance.

Tom

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 11:33:41 PM »
I can not believe that the entire rest of Europe thought the United Kingdom was as bad as the scores indicate. Well, I liked it, Josh, it's not much, but I've only got a quiet voice.

Well done Germany, though! I honestly didn't see that coming. I must admit that I was tapping along to it!

And what about the interval act. "Share the moment"... I was hooked. Security made an arse of themselves, but on the whole I loved the concept of everyone joining in. In fact, I think it is my second favourite act of all time, Riverdance being first.

Tom

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 12:02:53 AM »
Sorry, droning on now, but I knew Belgium would do well. I love the 'simple' things. I do feel for Iceland and Ireland though, as I liked both of their songs. It was nice to see Yohanna from last year again - I loved her song last year.

But what happened with Spain? I didn't notice anything unusual the first time (apart from the awful song - I don't like circuses) but it was a bit unfair (on me, especially) for them to have to sing it again.

Blimey. The ones who had to fight for their place in the final and won just sung again. The ones who "automatically" qualified, leave with a memory: Norway - last year's winner didn't do anything special; France - entered with their World Cup anthem (is that cheating? - loved the song, by the way); Spain - had to perform again due to a stage disturbance, as if it was their fault (:-\); United Kingdom - well, one end or the other is more noticeable than being in the middle; Germany - only bloomin' well won... with a song that had reached number one in umpteen countries before the Eurovision. Even the girl herself couldn't believe she had won.

There is no doubt that the Eurovision Song Contest is unique. There's only one thing in my opinion that could top it... the Worldvision Song Contest. Imagine how long a show that would be...

Tom

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 12:19:26 AM »
Just watched Spain's song again, and it's a bit odd that I didn't notice it earlier. Even Graham commented on "it being a bit early for a pitch invasion" but I thought it was all part of the act.

Apparently the twerp has been arrested.  :)

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 01:28:29 AM »
Yes, I didn't realise what happened wasn't part of the act either, Tom, but I think that Spain were "allowed" to perform again, rather than being made to, so that they weren't judged on the performance the nutter hijacked.

Sorry, but the UK entry was absolutely dire in my opinion, Tom - why on Earth anyone considered Pete Waterman still has his finger on the musical pulse is a complete mystery. The lad did his best, but that wasn't a song, it was a jingle. I'm impressed it made double figures... just!

Disappointed that Cyprus didn't fare better, but I suspect that low budget, zero frills presentation may have played its part in a contest that has become as lauded for its OTT gimmickry, costumes and dancing, as for the songs themselves. But I liked and admired Cyprus all the more for bucking against that. Good number too!

I didn't rate the German lass's performance that highly, although I's seen a clip of her singing the other night, and she sounded good in that. In retrospect, however, the fact the song has already taken most of Europe's charts by storm gave it a distinct advantage, and maybe it was no great surprise that it won.

My theory about Norway's effort is that they deliberately didn't put any (effort) in. Apparently, this year's event cost them so much, that they have had to drop the World Cup from their TV coverage as a result. They obviously were desperate not to win again, lest it bankrupted the country. The chap who sang their song didn't seem to give a toss whether he put in a good performance or not, and he was pretty flat throughout.

I still think the best song and singer went out in the semi though. Sweden would have run Germany very close I reckon. Great to see the old scoring system hasn't been affected too drastically by the introduction of part public voting the other year - we still had Greece and Cyprus swapping 12 points between them, and Israel still seems to think Hitler is running Germany. Malta gave the UK no points though - can't help thinking that was a big mistake on their part...

Roll on next year!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 03:24:55 AM »
Better luck next year lads!
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Tom

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 12:30:56 PM »
Thanks, Diane. At least we came last this year with points as opposed to that Jemini debacle a few years ago. I still cringe when I see clips of that song to this day!

Speaking of clips, here are some of my favourite Eurovision entries from over the years. Apologies for the extraneous dialogue that is in some of the clips...

Denmark; Aud Wilken:
http://www.youtube.com/v/ImT-RQLO15c&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0

France; Amina: (This clip isn't from the Eurovision - I think it's from one of the selection shows)
http://www.youtube.com/v/7pR9m4IVPUY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0

Malta; Claudette Pace:
http://www.youtube.com/v/3BZzVxBlCx8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0

Iceland; Yohanna:
http://www.youtube.com/v/agOf69AoxcE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0

The United Kingdom; Kimberley Rue:
http://www.youtube.com/v/X8oTtSTRdSw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0

The United Kingdom; Frances Ruffelle:
http://www.youtube.com/v/pVkF6dD9QKE&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0

Denmark; The Olsen Brothers:
http://www.youtube.com/v/G43tg5AZEiY&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0

The United Kingdom; Nikki French:
http://www.youtube.com/v/UOjXSo5wMrs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0

Portugal; Flor-de-Lis:
http://www.youtube.com/v/I97I4H6SCIk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0

I think I'll stop here... I could go on and on and on!

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 01:43:45 PM »
Just one from me, Tom. 1974 - the year Dave Lee Travis and Zoe Ball represented the Netherlands...

I See A Star
I apologise, in advance.

Tom

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 01:49:09 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Was that Joan Collins in the audience at the end?

Jack

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »
This year, of the acts I saw, I thought Romania were the best. At least, I think it was Romania. The man and the woman with the keyboards on a perspex shelf shaped like a double-sided piano.

I also thought that Denmark's "Sting/The Police" tribute act would have fared better.

The UK finished last, again, and the only reason we aren't ever "relegated" to those needing to qualify is because we (along with the French and Germans) pay for the damn thing. Why, in the current economical climate, we feel we can afford to fund a show specifically designed so that the rest of Europe can express just how much they dislike us, I have no idea.

That said, the song we entered was utter crap. Perhaps if we entered something decent, we'd only finish quite near to last.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »
I just read that Celine Dion won in 1988 - representing France even though she is a Canadian. Now she is expecting twins, I wonder what their nationality will be?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Jack

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »
Actually Diane, although I had always assumed she'd represented France despite being Canadian, I learned this Saturday that she'd actually represented SWITZERLAND.

Representing France as a French-Canadian, I could just about wrap my head around. I'm sure she had French grandparents, or great-grandparents, or something. Not sure where the Swiss connection comes from.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »
So her kids will be Swiss then. Maybe they will be able to yodel?