Author Topic: I hate...  (Read 4218 times)

Vulture

I hate...
« on: June 27, 2010, 03:03:11 PM »
..this hot weather! Bring back the snow!

Diamond Lil

Re: I hate...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 06:01:53 PM »
We've got warm rain...any use?

Vulture

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 06:58:50 PM »
We've got warm rain...any use?

Yes. That'll do. Just so long as it's not bright sunshine!

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 08:32:03 PM »
It's going to rain here on Friday.

Vulture

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »
It's going to rain here on Friday.

Wheere's 'here'?

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 11:21:44 PM »
Heeere's Dorset.

Vulture

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 11:31:42 PM »
Thaaat's too far away. I want a bit of coldness in Edgware! NOW!

Feather

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 12:21:07 AM »
Currently, 36 C (98 F) with a feels like rating of 39C (104 F). It's 6:20 PM. Don't talk to me about how hot it is there!  We have already hit the "feels like" heat index of 109F this summer in Dallas. I would welcome your idea of heat. I remember visiting England and being told it was warm. Hey, I went from 40 C  to 20 C in a matter of hours and from sunny to cloudy and rainy. That is a huge difference in temperature and climate. I was freezing most of the time, especially when it dropped to 15 C and below at night!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 12:27:57 AM by Feather »

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 06:58:49 AM »
Thaaat's too far away. I want a bit of coldness in Edgware! NOW!

'Iceland' must be nearby.

Vulture

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 07:24:03 AM »
Yes. There's one just up the road!

Jack

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 12:12:06 PM »
Currently, 36 C (98 F) with a feels like rating of 39C (104 F). It's 6:20 PM. Don't talk to me about how hot it is there!  We have already hit the "feels like" heat index of 109F this summer in Dallas. I would welcome your idea of heat. I remember visiting England and being told it was warm. Hey, I went from 40 C  to 20 C in a matter of hours and from sunny to cloudy and rainy. That is a huge difference in temperature and climate. I was freezing most of the time, especially when it dropped to 15 C and below at night!

Which is why I'm convinced that, as much as I'd like to go off and live in the Americas or Australia, or even somewhere in continental Europe... I'm fairly certain I'd die in the heat. I can barely cope with hot British weather. Functionality drops to around 20%. It's almost like I can feel my brain melting and dribbling out of my ear.

I hate the hot weather.

Vulture

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
I've been to Toronto several times - always in the winter. When I first gave thought to moving out there, I took a month's holiday in the summer. I thought I was in HELL! I just couldn't get away from the soggy heat (and the bugs!!). It didn't help that there was no aircon in my daughter's flat but even spending a lot of time riding in the aircon-ed underground didn't help. It made the outside seem even hotter.

At least I live in a top floor flat and I'm not overlooked. Lots of fans and little clothing helps - it just takes sooooo much effort to dress and go out for shopping, etc.

Feather

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »
Every shop, hotel, office, restaurant, library, and almost all houses and apartments. have central air-conditioning.  If you don't have central A/C, then why don't homes in England have A/C window units?

My former in-laws did not live in Texas but in another southern state. With four children, they had little extra money to spare. There were two things they chose not to invest in: one was city water - they had a well delivery-system - the water was undrinkable and it smelled strongly of sulphur. The other thing they chose not to invest in was central air-conditioning. They had an attic fan to combat the very hot, humid months.  During the summer, which, of course, was May-October, their house was hot, stuffy and damp - even the sheets felt damp.  Add the smell of cigarette smoke to this and it was a miserable experience to visit them.  Going without an air-conditioner - central or window unit - in the southern United States is not only foolish, but dangerous.  There are agencies that will help those who cannot afford window units get one free.

Jack

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 01:49:09 PM »
Every shop, hotel, office, restaurant, library, and almost all houses and apartments. have central air-conditioning.  If you don't have central A/C, then why don't homes in England have A/C window units?

Erm... we have windows... windows that open. Does that count?

I suspect that, as we only have to suffer through our hottest weather for a month or so, if that, it simply isn't cost effective to fit A/C into every building. We tend to just have central heating (used most of the year) and then spend a couple of months with all the windows open, fans on, and complaining about the heat.

I went down to Silverstone for the MotoGP last Sunday, and despite covering myself in lotion beforehand, my nose has only JUST stopped peeling. After one day in the sun.

Roll on the cold weather, that's what I say.

Offline Max

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »
Sorry, even here in Scotland I need my aircon.

My last 4 offices had it (sadly not the current one), my cars have it and I even splurged last year for a big mobile unit for the house which looks kinda like a Dalek minus the top part.

I do NOT do well in the summertime when it's muggy and hot, don't mind being outside in the sun,  but not in a hot airless room.

My apologies for being absent from the site but I've had builders in, basically stopping the house from collapsing. Now, many steel beams and lintels later I am back in what is basically a new house, that happens to be 160 years old.  :o