Author Topic: Sketches  (Read 33337 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Sketches
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2010, 09:18:06 PM »
Back down to Earth with a thud two weeks later - this one saving him from a Crackerjack Pencil (awarded to entries that receive no votes) by a mere three points.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:38:16 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2010, 09:20:04 PM »
Back up to fourth place with this one...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:39:15 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2010, 09:22:21 PM »
Followed by Gold Medal number two with this little gem...

(and from the man who tells me he can't do caricatures, as well. TSK!)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:39:44 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2010, 09:28:23 PM »
Well, I liked this one, even if very few others did...  :P

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:40:30 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
And lastly for now (but do tune in next week), Roger's third and biggest win to date, with exactly double the points of his nearest rival, I give you this...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:41:45 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
Thank you Tarks for keeping us informed and more than amused with Roger's cartoons.  The "Eagles are twats" particularly made me chuckle, and the "someone and Garfunkle" reminded me of a particular penguin cartoon card I gave t'other half for her birthday many moons ago.  It showed two penguins carrying a refrigerator over an ice bridge under which were sharks, etc.  The punchline read "like a fridge over troubled waters". She still has not forgiven me for ruining her image of that song.  Finally, I loved the diver returning the shark repellant (being a diver myself).

Keep up the good work and make sure Roger does too.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2010, 10:45:25 PM »
Okay, let's put an end to all of this. I enjoy drawing, and I do it reasonably well, but I am NOWHERE near being able to do it at a professional level. That's why I am---and happy to be---a writer. As you all know by now, I sketch out my ideas before sending them to the artist but that's as far as it's ever going to go. I'm a "talented amateur". The real pros on here (Tarks, Nige and Malc) will, if they're being honest, tell you exactly the same thing. This is not false modesty on my part. I can certainly convey what I want to in a sketch but I am a million miles away from being capable of producing acceptable artwork for publishing. And that's the way I like it. I come up with ideas and then pass them on.
That's what I do.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2010, 10:47:38 PM »
The humour still shines through, Roger.

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2010, 12:12:45 AM »
Okay, let's put an end to all of this. I enjoy drawing, and I do it reasonably well, but I am NOWHERE near being able to do it at a professional level. That's why I am---and happy to be---a writer. As you all know by now, I sketch out my ideas before sending them to the artist but that's as far as it's ever going to go. I'm a "talented amateur". The real pros on here (Tarks, Nige and Malc) will, if they're being honest, tell you exactly the same thing. This is not false modesty on my part. I can certainly convey what I want to in a sketch but I am a million miles away from being capable of producing acceptable artwork for publishing. And that's the way I like it. I come up with ideas and then pass them on.
That's what I do.

You know what, Roger, and I'm being totally serious here, but I couldn't disagree more. Your drawing style is utterly charming and very perceptive - you know what you want to convey, and the vast majority of the time, you achieve it with the ideal weight to your drawings. All of these cartoons ably demonstrate this, I believe.

I'm not saying you could replace Andrew or t'other Roger - you couldn't, not for the partnerships they currently have with you. And sadly, the spec gag market is only a very pale shadow of its former self, so it would be very difficult for you to prove me right, but I'm certain, in its heyday, should you have wanted to sell your own cartoons in the spec market, you'd have had no problem at all, and would have held your own with the best of them.

And unless you specifically ban me from doing so, I'd like to keep on posting these - we haven't even got to Peepsie's favourite yet.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:45:34 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2010, 05:10:39 AM »
I'm having trouble seeing them - the get right program kicks in. Could you not just reduce them before you put them up Tarqs?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2010, 01:47:39 PM »
I'm having trouble seeing them - the get right program kicks in. Could you not just reduce them before you put them up Tarqs?

My apologies, Diane. I didn't look too closely at the file sizes initially, forgetting you don't have broadband.

I've now replaced all of them with much smaller versions, so hopefully you can now easily go back and see any you missed without too much waiting. And I'll keep sizes in mind if Roger ever lets me post any more.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »
Tarks, you're more than welcome to post any of my stuff you want. I was just trying to point out the difference between what I do and the top quality work produced by the likes of yourself. (Thanks for the kind words, by the way).

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »
Oh, and I can see them now! They're ******* brilliant!

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2010, 11:23:32 PM »
I can even see them properly on the thin wiggly amps thingy made by oranges, without having to click on the attached file.  Ta very much, Tarks.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2010, 05:14:16 PM »
Thanks Tarqs!

I find the drawing style charming Roger  :)
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad