Author Topic: Drinks.  (Read 11933 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Drinks.
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:03:02 PM »
I thought the "Saloon Bar" section might be a good place to discuss drinks and drinking. Over the years, unfortunately, my capacity for alcohol has rather diminished. Don't get me wrong, I can still get through several units over the recommended daily limit from time to time but, perhaps for the better, my "silly" days are behind me. As has been mentioned before, I do enjoy a Drambuie or two after a good meal. I like a cold beer on a warm evening in the Algarve and a glass (singular) of red wine with dinner certainly helps the grub go down. There are several occasions when all three come into play but, dammit, not too often.
So what do you lot like to drink?

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Drinks.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »
I'm down to five bottles of wine a night myself.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:12:15 PM »
I'm down to five bottles of wine a night myself.

When it comes to wine-gums, that's about a quarter of a packet, so I'm impressed, Mince!

Personally, I usually have a bottle of red, and a couple of strong lagers. If there's time, I'll go out to the pub for a few, and then bring a few cans back from the supermarket as a night-cap. It's only then that I'll start on the spirits. It's all to help me sleep, and purely medicinal of course.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »
I forgot gin and tonic. I do enjoy one or two of those from time to time---but only with huge amounts of ice. Peeps, I remember being with you in Coventry and being served a warm G and T with no ice in that theatre and it was disgusting. The drink, that is---not being with you.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:45:11 PM »
And I got stopped by the police at a road-block, leaving the city! They asked if I'd had anything to drink, and I answered honestly, that I'd had a couple over the evening, at the theatre. They cheerily waved me on my way!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:23:52 PM »
...I answered honestly, that I'd had a couple over the evening, at the theatre. They cheerily waved me on my way!

Did the word "barrels" feature at all in your 'honest' response, Peepsie? Hmmmm?
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 11:28:42 PM »
I've actually been told by my doctor that I don't drink enough. He reckons a couple of glasses of red wine more a week would do me no end of good. I prefer a nice cold bottle of beer myself, but rarely more than one a day, if even that. The doc didn't sanction the beer. Bummer! Here's to him anyway... slainte!
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 11:38:15 PM »
I had way too much to drink a long time ago.  The last two drinks then were in celebration of another officer returning to my new unit in Germany.  They were a large shot each of Asbach brandy, Creme de Menthe and Cherry Brandy.  I managed to get them down, but they returned later that evening along with the fluffy pink elephants circling my bed.  I have been slightly inebriated (merry, etc) a couple of times since, but never drunk.

I now cannot even stand the sight of a Minty drink, let alone Creme de Menthe, and tend to stick to the occasional quality lager or real ale. I'm partialnto a nice cider, and had a fling with Margaritas, but don't generally enjoy spirits.

I enjoy wine, whatever the colour, but won't spend more than a tenner on a bottle and am quite content with a Merlot, Cab Sav, Rheinhessen, Rheinpfalz or Nahe.

Vulture

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 12:52:07 AM »
I hardly drink at all. Maybe a glass of white with Christmas dinner, and that's me done for the year... except tonight. Someone brought a bottle of Lambrusco round - it tastes just like lemonade - and as he was driving, it was left to me to drink the bottle!   8)

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 12:55:47 AM »
I hardly drink at all. Maybe a glass of white with Christmas dinner, and that's me done for the year... except tonight. Someone brought a bottle of Lambrusco round - it tastes just like lemonade - and as he was driving, it was left to me to drink the bottle!   8)

You had a bloke round, who tried to ply you with cheap plonk?

...Did it work?

Vulture

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »

You had a bloke round, who tried to ply you with cheap plonk?

...Did it work?

;D ;D ;D

Feather

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 02:22:11 AM »
I thought the "Saloon Bar" section might be a good place to discuss drinks and drinking. Over the years, unfortunately, my capacity for alcohol has rather diminished. Don't get me wrong, I can still get through several units over the recommended daily limit from time to time but, perhaps for the better, my "silly" days are behind me. As has been mentioned before, I do enjoy a Drambuie or two after a good meal. I like a cold beer on a warm evening in the Algarve and a glass (singular) of red wine with dinner certainly helps the grub go down. There are several occasions when all three come into play but, dammit, not too often.
So what do you lot like to drink?

I like a glass of Cabernet or Pinot Noir.

Don't go drinking with Mince.  :-[

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 06:57:44 AM »
That's because it's lumpy and does not make the taste of the beer, wine or spirit any better.

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 08:53:35 AM »

Ah - now this finally makes the topic interesting. Do go on, Feather... 
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »

Ah - now this finally makes the topic interesting. Do go on, Feather...

I quite agree. I'm all ears, Feather.