Author Topic: A cunning plan  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
A cunning plan
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:11:55 AM »
... Not involving turnips.

In light of my impending transition to the real world, I have decided to take up photography again.  I'm soon to start a course involving how to set up a business in the photographic area.   This will not be a full time job until I get sufficient custom and experience, but at least it has fired me up to do something at last that I at least like.

Any suggestions welcome .. But I already know to take the lens cap off (that's why I use a SLR ... The dark is kind of a clue)!

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: A cunning plan
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:12:53 AM »
Are you any good with pets? People could get their dogs and cats photos taken on nice pillows and wicker chairs.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:49:08 AM »
We have 2 Siamese cats, 1 Burmese cat, 1 German Shepard Dog and 1 x 24 year old daughter.  I think I can handle some nice pillows and wicker chairs.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 12:14:58 PM »
What nationality is the daughter?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 03:18:45 PM »
Not sure.  Is there a 'kevinette' nationality?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »
Well there you go then - there is big money to made in glamour shots of pets - at Christmas you can get your daughter to wear a Father Christmas outfit and the pet can get their photo taken with Santa.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 12:29:51 AM »
Now completed day 2 of the photography course.  Covered basic photoshop tasks for producing prints, studio lighting and model makeover shots using high key and low key lighting. Finished with Page 3/ glamour shoot.  On to photographing children in the studio tomorrow, with wedding photography for the last two days this week.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 03:50:53 AM »
Good luck with the wedding photography. That sounds like a very good course - I would like to do that too.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »
If anyone is interested (I'm not plugging the course or the Company - there are many others around), look at the website page of the course I'm doing - http://www.firstpointphotography.co.uk/10_Day_Course.php

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 11:10:26 PM »
Day 3 survived.  All the children were excellent models, with not a tantrum but plenty of character and smiles amongst them.  Played with Photoshop to produce a montage of images.  Also found out that RAW images and Jpegs add up to a lot of space - too much for my ageing laptop with it's meagre 60Gb hard drive (wot wiv microshaft taking up ever increasing storage space.  Time for a new laptop methinks.

Joan

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 04:32:37 AM »
Get one, Bill!!! My new one has 750GB hard drive storage and is about 100 times faster. I haven't opened my old laptop for ages and when I have to use the old PC, it drives me nuts, it's so slow! Well worth the investment.

Offline Max

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »
Bill, if your happy with your laptop just buy an external hard drive, Amazon is selling a 2 terabyte drive for £69.

Sad movie collector that I am I have 6 external drives which add up to 8 terabytes.

Just keep away from Seagate drives, tendancy to go tits up.

For Roger, a terabyte = 1000 gigabytes.

Just as an example, in 2000 I bought the LAN system for the Brunei frigates we were building, they insisted on a half terabyte storage, totally unheard of then.
The entire BAE SYSTEMS network ran on 250GB.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »
Max,
The laptop is over 3 years old, is slow and needs a rebuild to clear out the gunk.  The only good thing about it is it's a Tablet laptop.  I have replaced it with a much faster (and larger screen), and it works luverly (technical term here).

I concur about the Seagate HDs.  Also just bought a 2Tb WD My Book as it was on offer at Amazon.

Actually it's 1024 Gigabytes, but who's quibbling over a few 0's and 1's.

Our enterprise-wide system has a 'massive' 1 Mg of Ram in each workstation.  Imagine how fast that allows us to work, especially as all our data storage is halfway around the country.

I have also bought an upgrade to Windows 7 for my main PC.