Author Topic: You have to show these young 'uns how it's done.  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
You have to show these young 'uns how it's done.
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »
This is a text-message conversation between me and an ex-student nicknamed Swirl.

ME: This is my new mobile, a Galaxy S2. I finally ditched the old Nokia. How are you?

SWIRL: About time! Im very well thank you, how have you been?

ME: I'm good. What do you mean "about time"? Are you saying I'm stuck in the dark ages? lol And OMG! I'm using all the text messaging stuff. As a 2tor I 1der why I don't h8 it but I guess the 10dency to do so was a 4gone conclusion.

SWIRL: No of course not, I meant I think it was about time for an upgrade. Wow an english teacher using text speak, I've never heard that one before!

ME: I use text messaging 14s but not 4 adults.

SWIRL: Oh I see, fair enough. I never thought of for teens as '14s'. Thats clever.

ME: Most tutors h18s but I don't. I often invite them round 40 and biscuits.

SWIRL: But when do you get the time, considering you teach most of the time?

ME: Well, other tutors use their homes differently. Theirs is just for teaching but -4 coffee and biscuits as well. Come round any time.

ME: You have to admit that using "-4" in text messaging is really cool. You lot are just amateurs.

ME: Who's the best at text messaging? I don't want 2.2 anyone but you know it's me.

SWIRL: LOL! I do have to admit that your text speak is far to advanced for us amateurs. And out of everyone I've come across, you took the title with "2.2".

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: You have to show these young 'uns how it's done.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
A serious question----how much time does this "text speak" actually save?

Vulture

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
That took me ages to work out. I think I prefer Peter's missing punctuation!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »
I played one-on-one B-ball with my 17 year old last night and shocked the lad with how many baskets I made  :) Nice to show the kids we can still do stuff in our dottage.

I still have not text messaged. I don't know how impressive all that blue print is Mince - but well done for offering cookies. 

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Bog

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 04:15:41 PM »
Read that lot and I had to read it again, I still dont get some of it. I have a daughter-in-law who sends me that type of message and I
just call her and ask her to speak to me, it might just be a ploy to get me to call her. My son calls me instead, as he knows he will just get a call demanding a translation into English.

I dont think it is an age thing, just that I like to read real stuff and not gibberish, perhaps that means I am old.

Dang.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 06:24:27 PM »
I understand most of it---Mince's "to point to" was, I'd like to think, a  piss-take---but I get the feeling it takes longer to remember the abbreviations than it would to type out the complete words.
Now, if only there was some kind of symbol I could use for my second name......

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »
My 17-year-old asked me for some new ear plugs for his music device as there was a loud whinning in one of his ears.

Well of course I had to wonder out loud if it was the fault of the ear plugs.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »

ME: This is my new mobile, a Galaxy S2. I finally ditched the old Nokia. How are you?

ME: I'm good. What do you mean "about time"? Are you saying I'm stuck in the dark ages? lol And OMG! I'm using all the text messaging stuff. As a 2tor I 1der why I don't h8 it but I guess the 10dency to do so was a 4gone conclusion.

SWIRL: No of course not, I meant I think it was about time for an upgrade. Wow an english teacher using text speak, I've never heard that one before!

ME: I use text messaging 14s but not 4 adults.

SWIRL: Oh I see, fair enough. I never thought of for teens as '14s'. Thats clever.

ME: Most tutors h18s but I don't. I often invite them round 40 and biscuits.

ME: Well, other tutors use their homes differently. Theirs is just for teaching but -4 coffee and biscuits as well. Come round any time.

ME: You have to admit that using "-4" in text messaging is really cool. You lot are just amateurs.

ME: Who's the best at text messaging? I don't want 2.2 anyone but you know it's me.

SWIRL: LOL! I do have to admit that your text speak is far to advanced for us amateurs. And out of everyone I've come across, you took the title with "2.2".

Wasn't this a sketch by the Two Ronnies?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »
Read that lot and I had to read it again, I still dont get some of it.

ME: I'm good. What do you mean "about time"? Are you saying I'm stuck in the dark ages? lol And OMG! I'm using all the text messaging stuff. As a 2tor (tutor) I 1der (wonder) why I don't h8 (hate) it but I guess the 10dency (tendency) to do so was a 4gone (foregone) conclusion.

ME: I use text messaging 14s (for teens) but not 4 (for) adults.

ME: Most tutors h18s (hate teens) but I don't. I often invite them round 40 (for tea) and biscuits.

ME: Well, other tutors use their homes differently. Theirs is just for teaching but -4 (mine is for) coffee and biscuits as well. Come round any time.

ME: Who's the best at text messaging? I don't want 2.2 (to point to) anyone but you know it's me.

[/quote]

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 03:35:41 PM »
Well, if you have to explain it...   ..0
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 03:52:22 PM »
I guess I could have continued with these:

Stop analysing your dreams. There's no .22222222222 nightmares.

I know you had a crush on me but I don't think ur/me yet.

If you join the London Marathon, I will ?4u.

Or even:

I think Jack and Mark are not telling the truth. You interrogate Jack and I will ?.

I made # browns for breakfast.

I popped round the side of the building for a quick /.

I found some corned beef in the ham% from America.

Truly timesaving stuff.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 04:37:03 PM »
Mince is a tw@

(I'm getting the hang of this already!)
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
Mince is a tw@

You are a a quick learner!

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 09:54:12 AM »

Mince is a tw@

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 12:38:04 PM »
He's also a bit of a pr@
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟