Author Topic: The price of fish  (Read 1530 times)

Bog

The price of fish
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:09:12 PM »
I have never started a topic before so please be gentle with me, I have just had the old summer hols in the US of A. did some self catering cookery while I was there, was pretty impressed with the price of fish, in fact the price of everything. So I ask my multi national chums, have you ever discussed the price of stuff. 

Eggs, london, £2.04 for 6 XL
USA              $3 for 30
Washing powder, London 50 washes.....£12.50
USA  48 washes $4
USA 24 bud light  $15
London 24 bud £18
tomatoes, $1 a kilo...how does that work? We pay 65p each for a biggun.

is it me or are we being ripped off?.....(UK..London in particular)   I would like to say, I didn't just eat eggs, drink beer
and then wash my clothes! I do manage to spill almost everything I eat..

any ideas....

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: The price of fish
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:43:38 PM »
Hi Bog – Londoners pay higher prices but also earn more money so it is really the tourists who get ripped off the most. I remember when I was a kid in 1973 visiting London – the price of a can of pop was five times more than we paid for it in Wales.

We in North America get our food way too cheaply – small family farmers are all but edged out as the profit margin is so low. Factory farms provide awful living conditions for the animals. The people are overfed a diet of cheap, corn-filled food with a side order of fear.  This has turned people into overweight, over-medicated, dependent non-thinkers. The rich have got very rich on this system and the rest would prefer to hold onto that greedy dream for themselves, rather than face reality... and social justice. (However the times appear to be a changin with the Occupy Wall Street movement).

We in northern Alberta can pay over a dollar a tomato too in the winter – but I just got a 5lb box for $5 of Canadian grown tomatoes in the city.  I bought turnips in my local town for $5.29/kg – in the city they cost $1.43/kg

We spend way more for free run eggs – I just paid $8.98 for 2 doz, after owning our own chickens (who are down to 5/6 eggs a day now it’s getting colder and the grasshoppers are gone) I have got a tender spot for the rights of hens so I decided I would put some of the money I saved from veggies into a decent life for the layer of my breakfast eggs.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 06:02:25 PM »
My internet is slow and the connections are hit and miss. But I had wanted to also ask if you visited any tourist spots or was it just the supermakets?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »
I've never been self-catering in the States but I'm pleasantly surprised by the price of stuff in hotels and bars. (I'm talking about Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota---not the big Eastern cities). The cheaper price of gas/petrol in America makes transport costs a lot lower and that obviously makes a huge difference.
I'm booked up for another trip to Montana in early May so I will try to make a note of various prices...um...other than Budweiser and Coors.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:57:27 PM »
Everyone knows what I'm going to say here. One of the pleasures of my trips to the Philippines as the low prices. Extremely cheap beer, as well as non-essentials. I will spend more time there in the future, not least because I love the relaxed and friendly ambiance about the place. Working over the internet, as I do, means that it is all entirely possible, especially earning UK rates.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:34:56 PM »
I've never been self-catering in the States but I'm pleasantly surprised by the price of stuff in hotels and bars. (I'm talking about Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota---not the big Eastern cities). The cheaper price of gas/petrol in America makes transport costs a lot lower and that obviously makes a huge difference.
I'm booked up for another trip to Montana in early May so I will try to make a note of various prices...um...other than Budweiser and Coors.
Do you need someone to photo-document your journey? I'm free then.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »
Six quid.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Joan

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:44:16 AM »
I'm always gobsmacked at the price of petrol in the UK. It's usually about the same per litre as here, but the numbers are in pounds as opposed to Australian dollars. Not quite so bad with our exchange rate at the moment, but still a lot more. We think it's high here in Sydney at between $1.35 and $1.50 a litre. The worst thing here is that the price goes up and down during the week, so you have cheap days and expensive days, not always the same days each week. Ridiculous.