Author Topic: Sound of Silence.  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Sound of Silence.
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:09:09 PM »
Gosh, it's been quiet here.
My own lack of input has been mainly due to a family bereavement. Well, not exactly family, but as near as it can possibly come. Jim had been a huge part of my life since I was about five. I'm sure I mentioned all this a couple of years ago when his wife, Irene, died but they were a special couple to me. They weren't blood relatives but, coming as I do from a small family, they meant everything to me. I spent something like 45 Christmases in their company and these are the memories I will cherish. I'm guessing that, at the moment, Jim will have taken his malt whisky and his cigar to the "Smoking" cloud.
Okay, enough of the gloom.
Diane, as Queen of the Beau Peep site and everything you survey, how about coming up with an idea for this year's Christmas competition? You come up with the question/task and I'll come up with the prize.

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Sound of Silence.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:37:55 PM »
I am very sorry for your loss Roger - big hugs to you.  :(

I am honoured to be given the chance of asking the contest question and will post it tomorrow.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:15:37 AM »
Roger as a way to spread a little hope in the world and share your grief, I helped fund a loan to a Jim (James) in Kenya who needed a little help to buy seeds and fertilizer and an Irene in Uganda who runs a small food stall. Irene not only looks after her own 5 children but also cares for her sister’s child.

http://www.kiva.org/lend/356246
http://www.kiva.org/lend/355974

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 02:18:12 AM »
Really sorry to hear your sad news, Roger. I remember well when you told us of Irene's passing. It'd be nice to think she and Jim are now reunited. I also like the idea of the smoking cloud - when I get the opportunity to visit it, I may well take up the evil weed again. I don't often miss it these days, but sometimes...

Lovely gesture, Diane! Looking forward to your challenge.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »
Roger as a way to spread a little hope in the world and share your grief, I helped fund a loan to a Jim (James) in Kenya who needed a little help to buy seeds and fertilizer and an Irene in Uganda who runs a small food stall. Irene not only looks after her own 5 children but also cares for her sister’s child.

http://www.kiva.org/lend/356246
http://www.kiva.org/lend/355974
Amazing, Diane. Many thanks.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 12:07:08 PM »
We could play a game. We need to choose one that Roger does not understand, so any game really.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »
Sorry to hear of your loss, Roger.

That Kiva thing is a rather brilliant idea for helping entrepreneurs around the world. Lucy and I have made a number of modest loans over the past year or so, and have always been repaid in full. Then you can simply lend again.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Rob Baker

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 01:19:13 AM »
Deepest condolences to you and your family, Roger.
Wonderful project Diane.