Author Topic: The Devils  (Read 22046 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: The Devils
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 05:54:34 PM »

Notice how Andrew Christine left a gap in the U so that it looked like LI.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 09:10:31 PM »
I believe there is a comic called "CLINT"----based on this well-known printing possibility. For those of you not familiar with the problem, the letters "L" and "I" can close up to form a "U" when reduced for publication. When I began my career in children's comics, we were advised to avoid the words "CLINT" or "FLICK". If the latter was unavoidable, it ususally appeared as "FL ICK". Flicking unbelievable.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »
Can I just add that it's really weird looking at this stuff again---it was written more than a quarter of a century ago. Even though I was eight years old, it's pretty poor.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 11:49:04 PM »
The '3-2-1' and political conference made me chuckle.  Thanks, Roger ... And Rob for resurrecting the Devils.

Rob Baker

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 06:47:39 PM »
A few more.....and the first appearance of the aforementioned Ratbag.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »
Rob, who paid you to collect all these over the years?

Rob Baker

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »
I believe there is a comic called "CLINT"----based on this well-known printing possibility. For those of you not familiar with the problem, the letters "L" and "I" can close up to form a "U" when reduced for publication. When I began my career in children's comics, we were advised to avoid the words "CLINT" or "FLICK". If the latter was unavoidable, it ususally appeared as "FL ICK". Flicking unbelievable.
Strip 3 (Tarq's artwork)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 08:09:53 PM »
He's just copied off Christine.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 09:27:13 PM »
Tarqs nobly stepped in when Andrew had cracked a couple of ribs and did a superb job. The boy has talent.
I know I've said this before but it IS really strange seeing this stuff again. With a few exceptions, I never felt that these strips ever worked. Nice idea---shame about the actual content.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 01:33:24 AM »
He's just copied off Christine.

Congratulations, Mincey! There are few who manage to grasp the concept of ghosting a long-established cartoon strip quite so readily.
I apologise, in advance.

Rob Baker

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 01:50:39 AM »
I know I've said this before but it IS really strange seeing this stuff again. With a few exceptions, I never felt that these strips ever worked. Nice idea---shame about the actual content.
May I humbly disagree?  Your ‘Devil’s’ scripts reminds me of when you did Andy Capp – it seems to me that you weren't ‘constrained’ (if that’s the right word) by a 6-strip story, or ‘episode’,  and you just let the gags flow. I defy anyone not to laugh at Ratbag, after a long pause, saying ‘What are you waiting for - a song?‘
And Andrew seems to be in his element -– there are many, many, different ‘incidental’ characters he’s created during the run, and the expressions on their faces are brilliant. Just look at look at Eric Smith, as an example, above. 
Mince asked who paid me to collect these?  Well, I know a lot of work went into creating these strips and it saddens me to think they were only seen once, on the day of publication, as you say, a quarter of a century ago.  So, just like UK Gold, I thought it’s time for a repeat.
Trust me Roger, there’s some real crackers there. So, if you’ll allow me, I’d like to select a few of my favourites and put them up over the coming weeks, as an occasional treat for Kettle and Christine's legion of fans.
And if you say no, I’ll set Mincey on you....

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 11:10:31 AM »
Anything but that.

Rob Baker

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 04:22:20 PM »
Another example appears in the last panel of this old 'Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing' strip which, coincidentally, was re-printed in yesterday's Mirror...

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 05:21:45 PM »
Wow. My late father used to love those Mr Crabtree strips. I remember he collected the books. Beautifully drawn.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Rob Baker

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 05:19:30 PM »
A few more early Devils' , just to annoy Roger..