Author Topic: The Devils  (Read 22043 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: The Devils
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 08:58:50 PM »
Yet AGAIN, let me say how weird it is to see this stuff---it's been erased from my mind  along with strips like "Titus the Newt" and "Mildew" which floated around the Sunday tabloids for a while. I'm a cartoon whore, me.

Jack

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 09:57:12 PM »
"Titus the Newt"?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 09:14:27 AM »
"Cartoon Whore" could be an interesting concept...
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
It ran in the News of the World for a couple of years, Jack, back in the early eighties. Basically, it was about a newt called...er...Titus who was permanently drunk. The kind of strip that, these days, would never have been published. Not my finest hour but Andrew produced some great artwork for the pond/woodland setting.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »
"Cartoon Whore" could be an interesting concept...
We all had to make a living, Nige! Back in those days, I was writing for children's comics, men's magazines and anything in between that would pay me!

Jack

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
It ran in the News of the World for a couple of years, Jack, back in the early eighties. Basically, it was about a newt called...er...Titus who was permanently drunk. The kind of strip that, these days, would never have been published. Not my finest hour but Andrew produced some great artwork for the pond/woodland setting.

Time for Rob to start a new thread, methinks.  ;D

Rob Baker

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »
Time for Rob to start a new thread, methinks.  ;D
We didn't get the Sunday papers in our house at that time (my old man said they they were a waste of money as they were only full of adverts) so unfortunately I know nothing about Titus the Newt.  I couldn't find anything on the interweb either, but I did find an example of Mildew:

I'd love to see some more of these, and any of Titus...

Jack

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
...unfortunately I know nothing about Titus the Newt.

What?! And you call yourself a stalker...  ;D

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
I'd love to see some more of these, and any of Titus...

The titus are usually on page 3.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Malc

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 11:42:57 PM »
One of the concepts I developed for Cosgrove Hall (post Dangermouse and Duckula) involved three little penguins as the earthly, but unwilling, servants of Beelzebub. One of the penguins was a Harpo-type character, who only spoke in tweets and honks, whereas the other two spoke normally. The penguins decide that the Devil is a horrible man who they don't want to work for, so they abscond to live as bikers Hell's Penguins, much to the Devil's fury, and he pursues them.
It was felt that the Devil aspect, with open mentions of Hell would render the series unsaleable in the US, so we kept the Hell imagery but substituted the Devil for The Chairman.
With even more concessions, Hell's Penguins became Avenger Penguins and eventually the penguins became idiotic but golden-hearted bikers, pursued by an evil entity for no apparent reason. No wonder it didn't garner much of a following.