Author Topic: Laurel and Hardy  (Read 4571 times)

Rob Baker

Laurel and Hardy
« on: October 21, 2013, 11:45:17 PM »
In today's Daily Star reader's forum, someone notes that a lost Laurel and Hardy film, in Spanish, had been discovered (I think this is crap as I couldn't find any news on the internet about it).
Anyway it reminded me about the write-up on the back of BP Book 2 which describes Beau Peep as "the Legionnaire who has taken over where Laurel and Hardy left off"

There is a certain resemblance, as you can see in this scene from "Beau Chumps", when Stan and Ollie join the Legion, which was released in 1931. I'm wondering if Roger may have taken inspiration for his strip after watching it in the pictures?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Laurel and Hardy
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 10:49:29 AM »
Why, that's obvious and blatant plagiarism, Rob. I'm astonished! What were the Hal Roach Studios thinking of? They should be sued forthwith.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »
Ah, yes....1931 in the cinema.... I had come to love the Talkies....
I can honestly say that, when I first came up with Beau Peep, I had no knowledge of the Laurel and Hardy film. I was never a huge fan, certainly not to the extent of knowing all their movies. After the strip appeared, it was then mentioned to me on several occasions but I've still never seen "Beau Chumps". I did, of course see "Beau Geste", which was my basic inspiration----a simple spoof on an established heroic character.
On a similar theme, I remember getting a letter from a reader in the early days, asking if Beau and Dennis were based on Morecambe and Wise!

Rob Baker

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:50:33 PM »
Why, that's obvious and blatant plagiarism, Rob. I'm astonished! What were the Hal Roach Studios thinking of? They should be sued forthwith.
;D
And 10/10, Tarks, for remembering Hal Roach (I've got his autograph you know)

Rob Baker

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 12:36:51 AM »
Ah, yes....1931 in the cinema.... I had come to love the Talkies....
I can honestly say that, when I first came up with Beau Peep, I had no knowledge of the Laurel and Hardy film. I was never a huge fan, certainly not to the extent of knowing all their movies. After the strip appeared, it was then mentioned to me on several occasions but I've still never seen "Beau Chumps". I did, of course see "Beau Geste", which was my basic inspiration----a simple spoof on an established heroic character.
On a similar theme, I remember getting a letter from a reader in the early days, asking if Beau and Dennis were based on Morecambe and Wise!
In my humble opinion, it's not the best Laurel and Hardy short, and because it's 4 reels long (rather than the usual, two) it feels very 'padded'. But it does have some very funny scenes. 
Watch out for Charles 'Ming the Merciless' Middleton playing the cheerful commandant.
But back to my original point, note how Ollie, usually after a daft remark or action from Stan,  turns his eyes to the viewer (e.g. at 04.44), just like Beau.   
'Beau Hunks' is the original US title.

Laurel And Hardy Beau Hunks

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »
Rob, I've just noticed that this clip runs for 36 minutes. I WILL get round to it soon!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »
And did you?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
I always get mixed up on who is who in Laural and Hardy. But anyone can see that Beau Peep wears glasses so it is a completely different story.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad