Author Topic: It was thirty-five years ago today, Sgt Bidet taught the band to play..  (Read 4141 times)

Rob Baker

..  But enough of that, I don't want the Apple Corps lawyers banging on the front door.

Today marks an amazing 35 years since the first Beau Peep strip was published!
That was in the very first edition of the Daily Star on 2nd November, 1978.  In the days of black and white.  More than a third of a century ago.

So 10,469 Beau Peep strips later, many, many, congratulations must go to Mr Kettle and Mr Christine for this amazing achievement !

I cant figure out Photoshop so you'll have to imagine there's 7 birthday cakes in this drawing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:24:38 AM by Rob Baker »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: It was thirty-five years ago today, Sgt Bidet taught the band to play..
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 08:07:44 PM »
Many thanks, Rob! Andrew and I can now safely be described as being among the elder statesmen of the cartoon strip business. It seems about two minutes since we were regarded as the young upstarts who kept pestering Fleet Street for a break. As I've said many times before, I never thought for a second that we'd last longer than our initial, six-month contract---to have survived 35 years is beyond anything I could have imagined. Most comic strips are short-lived as, understandably, tastes change so I regard myself as extremely lucky to have made a living for so long, doing something I love. Don't get me wrong, there have been some dark times when trying to be funny didn't come easily but, like anyone in any walk of life, you just kind of get on with it.
35 years, eh? To steal from another long-running comic strip.....Good Grief.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »
Tastes may indeed change, Roger, but quality humour has a longevity like no other. Monty Python is as funny now as it was in 1969 and will be in another 40 years. Beau Peep will do likewise. The humour in it is ageless. The fact that the strip has now ran for 35 years is testimony to the writing and drawing quality. It is quite simply THE funniest comic strip ever.

Here's to another 35 years.

Hip hip...

:)

Diamond Lil

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 12:13:59 PM »
Crawler ..0

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
Crawler ..0

That's a bit harsh on Rob. I thought it was beautifully worded...just like a Beau Peep strip.   

;D

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 02:43:55 AM »
..  But enough of that, I don't want the Apple Corps lawyers banging on the front door.

Today marks an amazing 35 years since the first Beau Peep strip was published!
That was in the very first edition of the Daily Star on 2nd November, 1978.  In the days of black and white.  More than a third of a century ago.

So 10,469 Beau Peep strips later, many, many, congratulations must go to Mr Kettle and Mr Christine for this amazing achievement !

I cant figure out Photoshop so you'll have to imagine there's 7 birthday cakes in this drawing.

For some reason, I find it easier to imagine shoving 30 candles in the camel’s saddle.

Happy Birthday Beau Peep!
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 06:10:45 AM »
I still think Beau Peep needs modernising with a Sci-Fi theme.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:59 PM »
Congratulations on your long jevity, Roger (and Andrew, who has better things to do that waste his time on here).  8)
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟