Author Topic: ''Roger writes jokes the way he plays pool'' ....  (Read 14539 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: ''Roger writes jokes the way he plays pool'' ....
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »
Looking back, it's difficult to believe how much fuss was being made about the strip by The Star. The editor who sanctioned all this was a guy called Lloyd Turner, who was a great supporter of the strip and wanted Beau Peep to be almost synonymous with the paper. I remember walking down Fleet Street one day and, outside every newsagent, was a poster advertising The Star with Beau Peep's face staring out at me. To get that kind of backing from an editor is VERY rare in a cartoonist's life and it's something I'll never forget. More often than not, cartoons in newspapers are tolerated rather than promoted. Lloyd's career at The Star was terminated shortly before that Stringfellows do. He had printed a story about Jeffrey Archer's visits to a prostitute and further ramifications---a story all Fleet Street was aware of but too nervous to publish. After a truly ludicrous court case, The Star was sued by Archer and Lloyd was sacked. Of course, it emerged later that the story was true---Archer was jailed---but all too late for Lloyd. It was a sad end to The Star career of a great tabloid editor.
Re-reading the original Herald article (by the way, thanks for that, Rob), I couldn't help smiling at the quote from Andrew about the strip being "big in Sarawak". I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I clearly remember the day that we were told that Beau Peep had  been sold to a newspaper in Sarawak---this was the first time the strip had been syndicated. Andrew and I went out to celebrate and spent more in two hours than we made in a year's syndication money!

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »
I don't think "it's difficult to believe how much fuss was being made about the strip" at all. At the risk of being accused of being a kiss-ass, Beau Peep is simply THE funniest cartoon strip that there has been. I defy anyone not to laugh out loud at it. It is as funny now as it always has been...and it hasn't dated a day. I know humour is very much a personal thing, but like music, it's something I could not live without. In fact as I've grown older, and took on the usual growing-up responsibilities we usually all do, I appreciate good humour (and music) even more. We all need a laugh, and those who can provide it are worth their weight in gold (or free drink anyway). I'm sure Mr Turner, to his great credit, realised this.

People can be far too serious these days. I've been accused of being infantile, puerile, immature, sick, non-pc...blah, blah, blah. Guess what? Guilty on all counts and proud of it. If the ones who have had a snipe at me, would get their heads out of their backsides and have a laugh, they would maybe enjoy life a bit better. Humphy gits should be made to read BP and/or watch Monty Python, and if they don't laugh...shoot them. They will serve no purpose to society. Ok, shooting is maybe a bit harsh, so I'll accept tasering them. Seeing them wriggle on the ground would give me a chuckle.

Sorry, went off on a rant there. Did I mention my car door getting dinked? Think it may have affected me.

Beau Peep is up there with The Pythons, The Goons...all the best of them. Long may it continue.

:) :) :)

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 07:01:55 PM »
Wot Sandy said.  :) :) :)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 09:22:23 PM »
WAY over the top, gentlemen, but thanks very much.
Sandy, I've said this many times before but, in this context, it's worth repeating--- there is nothing original in what I do. In both the strips I created, Beau Peep and Horace, I simply wrote spoof versions of established, heroic characters. This is a comic format which goes back forever and comparing the ground-breaking work of The Goons and Monty Python to my stuff is like comparing apples to...um...crap oranges from the (past its sell-by date) Tesco Value Range.
Once again, I thank you but....discussion over! I will, however, happily discuss how good Peanuts and Asterix are....

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 10:35:13 PM »
WAY over the top, gentlemen, but thanks very much.
Sandy, I've said this many times before but, in this context, it's worth repeating--- there is nothing original in what I do. In both the strips I created, Beau Peep and Horace, I simply wrote spoof versions of established, heroic characters. This is a comic format which goes back forever and comparing the ground-breaking work of The Goons and Monty Python to my stuff is like comparing apples to...um...crap oranges from the (past its sell-by date) Tesco Value Range.
Once again, I thank you but....discussion over! I will, however, happily discuss how good Peanuts and Asterix are....

I have been a huge fan of Asterix ever since, as a nipper, a letter of complaint of mine (about poor binding quality) basically caused the delivery of half the Goscinny and Uderzo back catalogue. I still have them and some Lucky Luke books I was sent also, kicking about in my dad's house. Both were superb, and Asterix remains a firm favourite (Cacofonix the Bard...what a character). The drawings amused me so much and still do. Great writing and great artwork...something sounds familiar here ! Better than BP...close one, but no. It's not laugh out loud the way BP is.

Peanuts, in my opinion, is great but I honestly wouldn't rate it above BP either, I'm afraid. I wasn't being overly dramatic, BP just hits the spot. The drawing and the writing just work so so well. I know others might disagree, but as I said, it's a personal thing humour.

:)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 11:11:12 PM »
I have not read a lot of cartoons – Beau Peep makes me LOL as does Herman. I think The Far Side cartoons are clever and amusing but I don’t LOL. I tried to read a few others but never really got them.

I mostly like my humour in the DVD format. Moving pictures are tops. I was so glad that Mr. Butcheeks mentioned Porridge - that was really excellent.

I was reading Calven and Hobbes - but then my son came home a xmas and took them back with him.  I found them charming and interesting but did not LOL

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
Glad you liked Porridge, Diane. Ronnie Barker, in my opinion, was one of the best.

I have been youtubing Dave Allen (another of the greats) recently, and it's still hilarious. If you haven't had the good fortune to see any of him, give it a go. I think you'll enjoy it.

:)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 09:33:51 PM »
I didn't remember the name - but I did the face when I googled. He was the guy missing a finger and finshed his show with "may your god go with you". It must have been good, but that show hasn't crossed my mind for 30-40 years.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »
That's sad, he's dead.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »
That's sad, he's dead.

He's not dead, he's pining.  ;D

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 12:34:50 AM »
I ordered his DVD  :)

I get BBC Canada and often watch the Graham Norton show - I think it is one of the best shows on TV. I have been loving the comedians he has on the show for years. Now that I have an all-region DVD player - I have ordered a few live shows on DVDs by different performers - can't wait to see them. I hope these guys are as funny as they are on Norton - he does tend to bring out the best in his guests.

I treated myself to these guys:

Lee Mack
Alan Davies
David Mitchel
Jack Whitehall
John Bishop
Rob Brydon

Malc

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 01:21:32 PM »
I can still remember the effect that the Star generally had on me at that time, and Beau Peep in particular. Definitely the funniest strip going, and a breath of fresh air - the only strip that I found laugh out loud funny. Noel Ford was the Star's editorial cartoonist (a gig he shared with Bill Caldwell, alternate days), and you can only marvel at the perception of the Star's editor(s) at the time.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 09:31:22 PM »
Many thanks, Malc.
Going back to Peanuts, I can only say once again how much of an influence it was on me. Like all things that become hugely successful, it came in for all sorts of petty criticism---I've heard it described as "safe", "cosy" and "bland". This was a strip that featured a dog sitting on his kennel and imagining he was a WWI pilot, some truly surreal sequences about "The Great Pumpkin" and a kid who played a toy piano with a Beethoven bust on top of it. The running joke about Lucy promising not to take the football away as Charlie Brown runs up to kick it is as simple as it is brilliant. Charles Schulz was writing this stuff nearly 60 years ago. I couldn't, for a single second, come NEAR his originality.
Peanuts, in my view, is both the most inspired and most inspirational comic strip ever written.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 10:19:35 PM »
And did Peanuts make you laugh out loud?   ???

Online Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 10:36:36 PM »
Many, many times, Sandy, in my case. And I share Roger's view. But I also have a lot of sympathy for your own view on Beau Peep, and Roger is characteristically modest about it all.

Best strip of all time is purely subjective, and beholders' eyes are all seeing different things. I've long since come to the conclusion that 'laugh out loud' isn't the only hallmark of a great strip, and that there is often as much satisfaction in a wry, knowing grin as a belly laugh, if not more. I do think it's not that hard to spot the greats though, and certainly I'm happy to hail both strips in that bracket.

Who cares what the best is? That's way too serious a debate.
I apologise, in advance.