Author Topic: Happy Birthday Beau..  (Read 3664 times)

Rob Baker

Happy Birthday Beau..
« on: November 02, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »
..well, not Beau's actual birthday, but 36 years ago his very first strip was published in the very first edition of the Daily Star.   Many congratulations, as ever, to Roger and Andrew.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Happy Birthday Beau..
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 06:23:31 PM »
Many thanks, Rob! I should now go and check what the price of a pint was in 1978, what was number one in the charts at the time and all the other stuff newspapers do on these occasions.
I probably won't though.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:20:48 PM »
Happy Birthday, Beau!

Roger, I happened to be in ThatLondon last week for a meal and a piss-up few refreshments with some fellow editorial cartoonists in celebration of the launch of this years Best Of Britain's Political Cartoons 2014 collection (available on Amazon and various other places soon... plug over - don't buy it on my account...the meal was my payment). I had an hour to kill before the gathering, so I decided to take in a few sights and planned a route through the streets of London on my iPhone... which was such an effective guide that I've now renamed it my Ralph McTelephone... But I digress, again...

I was following my phone's instructions, marching confidently in the direction of Big Ben, when I suddenly experienced deja vu, halting me in my tracks. I looked back over my shoulder, and there it was... Stringfellows nightclub, exactly as I almost remember it some 30 years ago, when we gathered there amidst celebrities and models alike, for that infamous Beau Peep party. Except it was shut, and I wasn't already pissed 'relaxed' this time. But it was the same neon light over the door, albeit unlit, that I vividly recall (though Lord knows how, since I think we'd been drinking for three days by the time we got there) from back then.

I paused a while, reflecting on youthful times, before trotting off down the road past Nelson's Column, Downing Street, and taking a quick selfie with the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben tower. Sadly though, I didn't see the old man outside the Seaman's Mission...

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:23:32 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:05:48 PM »
!987, that was, Steve, so not quite 30 years ago but a fine night!
As I've mentioned before, I first came up with the idea for Beau Peep in 1975. This means that, next year, he will have been bouncing around my head for 40 years.
I  should see someone.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »
!987, that was, Steve, so not quite 30 years ago but a fine night!

Must have been drinking longer than I thought.  :o

So, where's the party next year then?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 06:36:55 PM »
Maybe we could get Stringfellows re-opened? Actually, I seem to recall it was pretty tacky even back then.
So it's back to your place!

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »
Maybe we could get Stringfellows re-opened? Actually, I seem to recall it was pretty tacky even back then.
So it's back to your place!

You reckon? Stringfellows not tacky enough then?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »
Did someone mention a Party?