Author Topic: "1001 Comics You Must Read...  (Read 3323 times)

Rob Baker

"1001 Comics You Must Read...
« on: November 26, 2014, 12:28:07 AM »
...Before You Die"  is the rather grisly title of a book published in 2011, with this entry on page 394:

Roger also gets a mention in the Andy Capp article, but, disappointingly, Horace isn't listed.  The book is a little too biased towards American cartoons for my liking and I don't think is worth the £20 price tag (but I had a bargain as I picked my copy up in a charity shop for a quid).

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: "1001 Comics You Must Read...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
I've got this book, Rob. I did a brief interview on the phone with the author(s) a couple of years before it was published and had forgotten all about it until it suddenly appeared. It's not the kind of book you read from cover to cover but I enjoyed dipping into the sections about my favourite strips---a lot of them American, Rob!
I'd like to think I'm quite a modest soul, but I would have been mildly upset not to feature in the top 1001 comics!

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 12:09:04 AM »
And did George and Lynne feature?   :o

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »
I've just checked and no, the George and Lynne strip doesn't feature, despite running in The Sun for years. I used to enjoy the ingenious ways that poor Lynne would end up losing her clothes. I seem to recall her doing various household tasks---like ironing---completely naked. As you would.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 12:58:36 AM »
Rob, are the comics listed alphabetically or is Beau Peep the 394th favourite of the person who assembled them in a book?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Rob Baker

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 04:41:12 PM »
Rob, are the comics listed alphabetically or is Beau Peep the 394th favourite of the person who assembled them in a book?

They're listed in date order Diane, starting with 1837. So Roger gets a mention pretty near the front of the book. ;D

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »

They're listed in date order Diane, starting with 1837. So Roger gets a mention pretty near the front of the book. ;D

1837 eh? So Roger would have started at around twenty to seven in the evening?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟