Author Topic: Horace Characters  (Read 6629 times)

Offline The Peepmaster

Horace Characters
« on: July 21, 2007, 05:47:54 PM »
Did that new Horace character that was suggested (the old man gunslinger I think it was), ever see the light of day?

Also, can any of the characters from Horace be equated with characters in either Beau Peep, or Andy Capp?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Horace Characters
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 09:04:14 PM »
I did a one-off gag featuring a gunfight between two ageing gunslingers (the gunfight went on for hours because they kept going to the toilet). I fully intend to use Malc's idea of an old gunfighter in a week-long series but haven't quite got it right in my head yet. Sometimes I will toy with an idea for months before it finally clicks into place.
Not long after I started writing Horace, I introduced a "medicine man" character. I soon realised that he could easily turn into The Nomad and I changed his personality.
I am the first to admit that I am a limited writer. My basic premise is to take an established hero, churn out a wimpish version then throw in some peripheral loonies! Because of this, there are bound to be similarities in the strips I write.
Andy Capp is a bit different. The characters had already been put in place by the wonderful Reg Smythe. In the beginning, I tried very hard to copy Reg's humour but, inevitably, my own style soon kicked in. While I'd like to think I still capture the essence of Andy, there was a depth to Reg's writing that I don't even come close to. He had a brilliant way of conveying the love between Andy and Flo---despite the warring facade---that is simply beyond me. My stuff makes it look like like they hate each other and it drives me mad that I can't capture that magical, and essential, element of underlying  devotion.
I also have to work extremely hard not to turn Andy's mate, Chalkie, into Dennis!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 09:26:47 PM »
My stuff makes it look like like they hate each other and it drives me mad that I can't capture that magical, and essential, element of underlying  devotion.

It doesn't, and it shouldn't, because you can and you do.

Enormously tough act to follow, enormously well done.

'Nuff said.

I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 03:25:42 PM »
My stuff makes it look like like they hate each other and it drives me mad that I can't capture that magical, and essential, element of underlying  devotion.

'Nuff said.

I'd like to second that.

peter

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 04:39:33 PM »

'Nuff said.

I'd like to second that.
I read yesterdays Andy Capp and do appreciate what Roger says.
I see Rogers humour.
This was the first time I have read this cartoon since the original.
You have a hard act to follow but you have nothing to worry about
The average readed proberly does not know that there is a different cartoonist

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 04:52:29 PM »
And it was all going so well...

Colin

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:01:46 PM »