Author Topic: You're playing all the wrong notes  (Read 9685 times)

Diamond Lil

Re: You're playing all the wrong notes
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 07:19:50 AM »
I'm OK...uplifted by my brother's love and concern, I disentangled myself from the monitor cables and firewall...what a jungle it is down there...and was well enough to enjoy a sherbert or two with friends last night.  My thanks to the virtual friends here who sent cards and flowers during my absence.  Still no sound but I've joined a class in lip-reading and that's beginning to help.

Malc

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 12:25:21 PM »
Well? did you try the jackplug in different holes or not? And did you have the sound turned up when you did so?

Also, click on Start-Control Panel- Sounds and Audio Devices- and click the Volume tab to make sure all levels are "up' and not set to "Mute".

If that doesn't work, stay in Control panel and click on "System" A box labelled "System Properties" will appear. Click on "Hardware" and bugger about in Device Manager to see if your sound devices have yellow exclamation marks against them (which means they aren't working, but at least you'll know they officially have a problem). Sometimes it's just a case of clicking on an icon to solve a problem.

Then check the internet - just type a summary of your situation into Google to see what can be done.

Finally: Was there a time recently when your sound was working? If you go Control Panel- System it offers a System Restore feature which will reset your computer to a happier time when everything was hunky dory.

Unless you've got a Mac, in which case Macs are different.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 12:39:43 PM »
All very good sound advice from Malc (see what I did there?). Must be the most boring post he's ever made.

Unless YOU know different....
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2007, 02:12:17 PM »
He knows more than I do. I'll get him to fix my dad's sound card.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007, 07:24:11 AM »
I have sound for everything except YouTube.  My sister-in-law told me weeks ago to Google the problem, which I did, and got lots of replies but I lack the energy to sit down and actually follow through the instructions...will try to do better. 

Malc

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2007, 08:41:13 AM »
When you click on a YouTube clip, is the loudspeaker icon (bottom right) set to full volume? If not, slide it up to the right.