Author Topic: Emerging from Hibernation ...  (Read 7926 times)

Dung Beadle

Emerging from Hibernation ...
« on: March 25, 2016, 01:20:43 AM »
I'm hoping to track down two specific and memorable but elusive cartoon strips.

The first is a Beau Peep strip featuring the Nomad (which I've described in the relevant forum).

The second cartoon strip I'm after features "The Bear" in "A Man Called Horace". After months of inactivity, the Bear has finally emerged from hibernation and is contemplating what to do outdoors in the Spring sunshine, he opts for lying down and scratching his bottom.

Any assistance in helping me track down this specific strip would be much appreciated.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Emerging from Hibernation ...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
I probably wrote about a dozen of those! Maybe Rob Baker can help narrow it down.

Rob Baker

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 03:40:19 PM »
Take your pick Dung :)

April 1998

August 2000

May 2001

July 2002

April 2003

September 2003

August 2004

October 2004

March 2005

April 2009

October 2010

August 2011

May 2013

May 2014

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 03:54:57 PM »
When you see them all together like that, you have to admire Mr Kettle's stunning ability to stretch an idea beyond breaking point.  ;D

Thank you, Rob, for being such a sad, sad anorak! Really enjoyed that.  :D ;D :D
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 04:43:38 PM »
When you see them all together like that, you have to admire Mr Kettle's stunning ability to stretch an idea beyond breaking point.  ;D

I read them all and even the last two made me laugh. Bravo!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »
Rob, many thanks, as always, for the remarkable amount of work you put into stuff like this. It really is appreciated. Not financially, of course, but, you know, from the bottom of my heart. The scratched bottom of my heart.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 09:52:57 PM »
Can I just add, in my defence, that the sequence of near-identical jokes above are what's known as a "running gag" in the comedy business. And definitely not "lazy crap when you can't think of anything else and there's a deadline coming up and your cat's just died."

Redundant

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 10:34:42 PM »
Can I just add, in my defence, that the sequence of near-identical jokes above are what's known as a "running gag" in the comedy business. And definitely not "lazy crap when you can't think of anything else and there's a deadline coming up and your cat's just died."

Perhaps its being known as a... "marathon running gag" might be more appropriate...

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 11:13:27 PM »
And definitely not "lazy crap when you can't think of anything else and there's a deadline coming up and your cat's just died."

Your cat had fifteen lives?

Rob Baker

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 01:41:36 PM »
Note, there may be a few more -- I didn't include those which were only published in the Daily Record    ;D