Author Topic: Nomad music puzzle  (Read 13863 times)

Rob Baker

Nomad music puzzle
« on: October 11, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »
I’m probably just being a bit thick (don’t all agree at once!)  but I just don’t get what the Nomad’s doing (scratching?) in the last frame of strip 4, of this series from last week. 
So with profuse apologies to Roger, can anyone explain that particular gag to me?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Nomad music puzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:11:41 AM »
I think he may be searching in vain for some LPs (that's CDs to you youngsters out there), or even something to play them on? Other than that, I admit, I'm stumped. Which is almost certainly a first for me where Kettle & Christine are concerned.

I apologise, in advance.

Redundant

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 03:34:16 PM »
It's only a guess but is he playing "armpit music" perhaps?  [Come on...we've all done it!]

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 05:01:51 PM »
My armpit isn't in the middle of my chest, but yes...guilty!  :-[
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 04:36:59 PM »
The reason that you're stumped is that, for some inexplicable reason, the Star managed to print the strip without the last speech balloon. The Nomad SHOULD be saying "Hang on, I can't find my kazoo."
I was a tad annoyed.

Egg

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »
I thought it was maybe an early Christmas competition.....fill in the blank.

Probably been asked hundreds of times before, but if this was last week, when was it submitted?
How far in front do you have to work?

Don't ask, don't get!  ;)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »
Egg, we're roughly six weeks ahead of publication in the Star. As the writer, I also try to be at least a couple of weeks ahead of Andrew, just in case of personal emergencies/holidays/times when I simply can't be arsed to work.

Egg

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 08:26:50 PM »
........times when I simply can't be arsed to work.
Refreshingly honest.
My employers, the Dutch, don't get the concept!  :P

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 09:02:52 PM »
The reason that you're stumped is that, for some inexplicable reason, the Star managed to print the strip without the last speech balloon. The Nomad SHOULD be saying "Hang on, I can't find my kazoo."
I was a tad annoyed.

How is that even possible, Roger? Doesn't Andrew draw the speech bubbles as an integral part of the artwork these days, as he certainly used to? If so, for the entire balloon, text and arrow to disappear and the frame line to be there would mean it had to be physically painted out. Or has Andrew now gone over to the Dark Side of digital cartooning, where the speech bubbles are saved on a separate layer....but even then, it would be unusual for them all to be on different layers rather than one for them all...very odd!

Don't worry - I'm not expecting you to actually know the answer, Roger, this being a highly technical conundrum. Just thinking aloud...  ???
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »
Kazoo!  ;D ;D ;D
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 09:43:48 PM »
Steve, I have no idea how this happened and it makes no sense to me. I'm assured by Andrew that the final balloon was in place and, like you, I can't understand why the blue background is complete----there should have been some kind of sign of the missing punchline.
It's weird, man.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »
Yes, there's that too. I presume they're coloured by the newspaper staff? Which would indicate that the bubble was missing before any colour was added. Hmmmm - has Mr Christine been interrogated yet...?
I apologise, in advance.

Egg

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 06:52:28 AM »
Is it unique and therefore going to be worth thousands in years to come!

Rob Baker

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 01:55:08 PM »
I was a tad annoyed.

Cheers Roger - good one, makes absolute sense now  (y)   Though I did like Red's suggestion about armpit noises too!

Rob Baker

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »
Is it unique and therefore going to be worth thousands in years to come!

OK, who's going to be first to make a connection about Roger's gags and valuable antiques ?     ;D