Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes and Beau Peep  (Read 23177 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Sherlock Holmes and Beau Peep
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 01:20:55 PM »
No, you're not. I've got the coin!

If you look closely you will see it is a fake. You have once again been foiled. Elementary my dear Tark's.
This post did not come from Peter. I am using his site whilst he is away.

Yup! He's right. Correct spelling AND punctuation. It can't be the real Peter.

It's good, but it's not perfect. The comma that should have followed "Elementary" has leaped forward to become a possessive apostrophe in "Tark's".

Devious!
You picked the coin up therefor you possessed. It was alimentary.

Only if I'd swallowed it.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 01:48:01 PM »
I'm still struggling with the concept that a writer can come up with a character more intelligent than himself. This is straying into the loony ventriliquist/dummy scenario.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 02:03:08 PM »
I'm still struggling with the concept that a writer can come up with a character more intelligent than himself. This is straying into the loony ventriliquist/dummy scenario.

Precisely my point, Roger. Thank you.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 02:08:17 PM »
Precisely my point, Roger. Thank you.

It must be nice to have your point backed up by someone else who does not understand it.

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 04:52:12 PM »
Much as it pains me, I have to agree with Mince here. Surely fiction is all about creating illusions, and it is perfectly possible to create the illusion of a super-intelligent being without having to be one, and think as they would 24/7?

Are you as bad a cook as Egon, Roger?
Are you as barmy as Colonel Escargot?
Are you as violent as Mad Pierre?
Are you as wise as the Nomad?
Are you as thick as Dennis?
Are you as foolishly devoted to Dundee United as Hamish?.........Ah!.......
I apologise, in advance.

peter

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 05:21:21 PM »
Much as it pains me, I have to agree with Mince here. Surely fiction is all about creating illusions, and it is perfectly possible to create the illusion of a super-intelligent being without having to be one, and think as they would 24/7?

Are you as bad a cook as Egon, Roger?
Are you as barmy as Colonel Escargot?
Are you as violent as Mad Pierre?
Are you as wise as the Nomad?
Are you as thick as Dennis?
Are you as foolishly devoted to Dundee United as Hamish?.........Ah!.......

All good points Tarkquin. But were does that leave us.
Has Roger got to pick out the ones that he agrees with. Or does he have to match you line for line.
Does he have better shaped legs than you.
Is he better looking than you.
Is he broader than you.
Does his football team play better than yours.
Do they wear more Stylish shirts

These are vital questions that need answering.

peter

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 05:22:52 PM »
How many guest are there that wont post just look. 8

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 06:53:09 PM »
Ah, but, Tarks, "creating the ILLUSION" of a super-intelligent person is completely different to creating a character that is more intelligent than its author. That is simply impossible. The creation is limited to exactly what the author is intellectually capable of. It's almost as though you and Mince are suggesting that the character can start doing or saying things that the author does not understand. That's weird, man!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 07:01:11 PM »
If you are writing fiction, it's always an illusion. If it's not, surely it's an autobiography.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 07:01:44 PM »
Ooh! I'm really getting into this topic!

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 07:19:25 PM »
It's almost as though you and Mince are suggesting that the character can start doing or saying things that the author does not understand. That's weird, man!

No, but the author can spend several hours researching a point of detail involving thermo-nuclear physics which he can then include in his writing as a sudden passing thought (and not an atypical one) in his character, thereby creating his character's far superior intellect and knowledge base to his own.

Again, to try to put it into your own context (and perhaps in a more relevant way than i attempted earlier), I know you take great care to get the words of your strips just the way you think they work best. Necessarily then, you may take several minutes, possibly even hours to get a particular punchline to work with the optimum words and phraseology to really nail the gag. That line is then delivered by Beau as an instant riposte to something Dennis has done, making it appear like an effortless and totally natural talent that Beau has for belittling his mate.

Eric Morecambe appeared to be a master at ad lib humour, and yet we know from those who appeared alongside him that every off the cuff remark was very carefully rehearsed beforehand. In effect, and in a sense, he was creating an even better comedian than he actually was. I'm sure he was a very witty man off stage, but he obviously didn't sustain that level of humour in every walk of life. Just as you are great company in 'real life', which thankfully means you enjoy more meaningful and deep conversations over a curry than constantly nailing every third bit of speech with a razor-sharp nugget of sarcasm (or worse, playing Andy Capp to your lovely wife's Flo).

We're talking about the illusions created by fictional writing here, not sharing a brain.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:23:44 PM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 07:20:12 PM »
Unlike Mince, I try to keep it snappy.  ::)
I apologise, in advance.

peter

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 07:50:48 PM »
It's almost as though you and Mince are suggesting that the character can start doing or saying things that the author does not understand. That's weird, man!

No, but the author can spend several hours researching a point of detail involving thermo-nuclear physics which he can then include in his writing as a sudden passing thought (and not an atypical one) in his character, thereby creating his character's far superior intellect and knowledge base to his own.

Again, to try to put it into your own context (and perhaps in a more relevant way than        ****  i **** attempted earlier), I know you take great care to get the words of your strips just the way you think they work best. Necessarily then, you may take several minutes, possibly even hours to get a particular punchline to work with the optimum words and phraseology to really nail the gag. That line is then delivered by Beau as an instant riposte to something Dennis has done, making it appear like an effortless and totally natural talent that Beau has for belittling his mate.

Eric Morecambe appeared to be a master at ad lib humour, and yet we know from those who appeared alongside him that every off the cuff remark was very carefully rehearsed beforehand. In effect, and in a sense, he was creating an even better comedian than he actually was. I'm sure he was a very witty man off stage, but he obviously didn't sustain that level of humour in every walk of life. Just as you are great company in 'real life', which thankfully means you enjoy more meaningful and deep conversations over a curry than constantly nailing every third bit of speech with a razor-sharp nugget of sarcasm (or worse, playing Andy Capp to your lovely wife's Flo).

We're talking about the illusions created by fictional writing here, not sharing a brain.
And you talk about me
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:53:34 PM by peter »

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 07:55:52 PM »

[/quote]
That's exactly what I'm saying. Whether the author spends hours researching--or working out the perfect ad-lib--it's all illusion. You cannot create a more intelligent character than yourself.

peter

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 07:59:47 PM »
I see both sides of the argument I don't no which way to lean I will wait a bit before I jump.