Author Topic: "Oh, it's going around."  (Read 6460 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
"Oh, it's going around."
« on: January 14, 2017, 08:06:59 PM »
I'm now about to complete the tenth day of a cold/flu/lurgy. Any attempt to extract some sympathy from friends or family is always greeted with "Oh, it's going around". I can understand the reasoning behind this response. Basically, they're saying that I am not suffering alone and that there was nothing I could do to avoid being infected. That's just not good enough. They should recognise that I am suffering FAR more than anyone else and that my version of the ailment is FAR more extreme. For the life of me, I can't understand why people don't realise this.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: "Oh, it's going around."
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:30:57 PM »
Try 14th day, and I might have some sympathy.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 09:57:59 PM »
A friend popped round a few days ago and, when I informed him that I'd been laid low for a week, he happily announced that I only had two weeks to go---according to the local bug. (Not two weeks to live but two more weeks of the bug). My sore throat has gone but I'm still coughing, still bunged up, still aching and still feeling like crap. Back in the day, when I was writing 1,000 comic strips a year, I had no choice but to work through stuff like this and I hope you all appreciate my remarkable stoicism. Now that I'm unemployed, that pressure has been removed. I'd still like a virtual hug. 

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:07:20 PM »
So I've got another 7 days to go? $%#@*%&!

Get yourself some Jakeman's Throat and Chest sweets.

Offline Max

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:29:37 PM »
How come you guys get it and I can't?
Had to knock my pan in all of December to get a bloody contract signed, only managed that on the 22nd and used a week of my holidays to do it.
It's just not fair, I demand parity with the sickies.
This is the last time I get the flu jab, damned thing isn't supposed to work! >:(

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 10:39:31 PM »
Hugs for Mr. Kettle. Hope you feel better soon - go outside and breath in some nice fresh air. 

Out of my family of 5 only 40% of us get the flu shot, the rest of us are grown men.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 12:56:53 AM »
I get the flu jab every year. I can't remember the last time I had anything worse than a half day sniffle, but it's certainly been years.

I am also a grown man...but a Scotsman...and the jab is free.........
I apologise, in advance.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 01:04:50 AM »
I never get the flu jab, never get the lurgy (but do have a shockingly bad back from years of poor manual lifting) and generally feel rather healthy.

Like Tarks, I'm Scottish, and I put my healthiness down to wearing t-shirts in winter till the age of 27!

Wha's like us?

Offline Max

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
So now I discover it's a delayed action lurgy.
Absolutely floored me this week, voice ranging from Barry White to the spotty teen in the Simpsons.
Suppliers thought it was hilarious, even the Italians.

Thank the lord for ultra chloraseptic and brandy.  :(

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 09:49:27 AM »
I'm now experiencing the joys of a second bout and, if anything, it's been worse than the first time around. It's difficult to find a part of my body that is ache-free. So much for the theory that these bugs only strike once per Winter...

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 10:58:21 AM »
It's probably a grammatical virus, payback for writing winter with a capital.  8)

Offline Max

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »

Could have been worse, might have been a grammaton cleric virus.  :o

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »
 ;D

Any excuse...

I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 08:41:54 PM »
Day 12 of my latest flu bout and I feel crap. I am delighted as this is a huge improvement on how I felt up over the first 11 days. I have also decided that my two-week abstinence from alcohol has been a huge mistake and I am currently enjoying this evening's second, generous measure of Drambuie. Wish me well.