Author Topic: Happy Christmas.  (Read 11972 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Happy Christmas.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 07:19:11 PM »
Jade Goody would be proud!  :o
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 07:26:06 PM »
Jade Goody would be proud!  :o

Oh Tarquin! There's nothing rascist about making poor puns! Please don't connect the two.  :-\
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 07:56:52 PM »
Ooooh, as if I would! ::)

In fact, and in my opinion, essentially, Ms Goody's recent controversial behaviour was not inspired by racist views, despite the racist elements that permeated her uncontrolled outbursts. From the outset, her anger was motivated by jealousy and not racism, and I believe she would have displayed the same degree of hostility towards any female with the class, sophistication, intelligence, beauty and success of Ms Shetty, regardless of their ethnicity. The racial card has been used by all-comers to hijack the issue for their own agendas ever since, although if the furore lifts the lid on the issue of insidious racism-through-ignorance then some good may come of it. Sadly, I fear the crucifixion of the handful of suspects involved, followed by the self-congratulatory back-slapping of the hypocritical hordes, will be the far more likely outcome.

Jade Goody's crime was to be bad, silly and devoid of considered thought...which brings me back to those puns..... ;)
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 09:10:55 PM »
Jade Goody's crime was to be bad, silly and devoid of considered thought...which brings me back to those puns..... ;)

Many of my students are Indian, and none of them would raise an eyebrow at the above puns.

Would we be bothered if someone said that "British" meant "kind of Britty"? (I could not think of a better one - so groans allowed.)

Malky McGookin

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 09:35:41 PM »
I agree with Tarquin, even though I never saw and heard any of Goody's remarks I base my views solely on what I've seen of the media reaction. Typical tabloid hypocritical garbage.
A media beat-up as they say here in Oz.

If you want to see ignorant racist stereotyping you would only have to google Mahatma Coat, a character invented by Greg Ritchie (former Australian international cricket player) who appeared on The Footy Show over here for years.

Mahatma was a white man in blackface make-up and a Peter Sellers Indian accent who made stupidly unfunny jokes based on even unfunnier racist premise.

To the shame of the Australian TV viewing public he wasn't dumped due to an outcry from the people but because Greg Ritchie made a nuisance of himself on international flights so the network dumped him. Otherwise he'd still be doing it.

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 12:22:50 AM »
Mince, your use of my words juxtaposed against yours appears to indicate that you still think I am crying 'racism' here. For the record, I am not, and the words you've quoted should be interpreted in the following manner: I thought the puns were really bad (and by Peepmaster's own confession, they were "poor" at best).

Also for the record, I know Peepmaster to be a thoroughly decent and honourable man (yes, I have known him longer than my presence on this forum), whom I could no more accuse of racism than Nelson Mandela. My initial throwaway remark was ill-judged, intended as a joke, and mischievous. I apologise for typing it unreservedly. I believe Jade Goody made similar observations and admissions about her own behaviour and has been similarly contrite. It does just go to show how easy it is to cause offence with a few words, and I know The Peepmaster will certainly agree with me on that score.

That said, I stand by my follow-up post, and thank Malcolm for his support. I?d just like to add, however, that the hypocritical hordes I referred to are far greater in number than the tabloid media sh*t-stirrers. I?d be willing to wager that the overwhelming majority of the puritans who called Channel 4 and the authorities to express their heartfelt anger at the ?racist bullying? meted out by the houseprates concerned are probably no less guilty of crossing that same line on numerous occasions throughout their lives.

As a Scot residing in England, I have lost count of the number of times (based purely on my accent) I have been asked if I wear a kilt and play the bagpipes (yes to the first, and sadly no to the second), closely followed by ?original? lines involving haggis, whisky and porridge, none of which I enjoy.

When I was a Scot still safe in my own land, I know I was equally guilty of crimes against the Sassenach (until I discovered I actually am one, and my attention turned to the native English). All in good fun I thought, except for the stuff that wasn?t. And it can be funny, to the target as well as the aggressor ? until the context shifts, and the same sniggering remark that is exchanged between giggling na?vet??s is found being roared by heads of skin on a National Front march. Somewhere in between, there?s a line we are all capable of crossing. But it?s a very thick line with fuzzy edges, and not always clear to the naked eye.

Of course, the words we could all learn from are those of Ms Shilpa Shetty, in loving and forgiving those who trespassed against her.

Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 12:28:07 AM by Tarquin Thunderthighs lll »
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 12:39:11 AM »
Yes. What dignity that beautiful lady showed. That's how to answer your critics.

For the record, I have loads of birds, as you'd expect. As I mentioned on the cartoonists board, my current one is of Asian origin. A lovelier lady I couldn't wish to meet.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 06:29:22 PM »
I have loathed Big Brother since it was conceived.
"Let's stick some weirdos in a house and see what they do. We'll give them loads of booze and maybe they'll have sex! So we'd better make sure the majority are young, good-looking and stupid! OO! OO! There's this spiffing new thing called Tourette Syndrome----the people who have this swear a lot! See if we can find one of those!"
A week into the series, Channel Four release a statement explaining how they don't condone swearing...bullying...drunkenness...racism..tsk..tsk..tsk...

designation

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 03:47:19 AM »
roger kettle:its "times of india",what about the other questions i asked any answers for them??regarding books getting in shops?please gimme informations how to source it.
and to the rest of the lot:i jus asked for beau peep books dudes, how come it all ended with  racism,gandhi,nelson mandela,big brother,hey,dont tell me in the new beau peep books ,dennis would be married to jade goody.[i hope innocent remarks and puns are still ok here] 8)..

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Happy Christmas.
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 10:01:26 AM »
Hi again, Designation. I'm afraid I can't really add to my earlier answer where I said that the only way I know of getting old Beau Peep books is on eBAY. They are no longer on general sale although you may pick up the odd one in a second-hand bookshop. Sorry---that's the best I can do.

designation

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »
hi roger thanx a lot for the info,