Author Topic: Portugal  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Portugal
« on: September 20, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »
We're off to Portugal for two weeks - not tomorrow, or the next day, but soon, and for the rest of and I might not be posting as much as I have been posting, which isn't much admittedly, or I might be posting more, or the same amount. Anyway, I thought everyone might want to know.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Portugal
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:39:10 PM »
I was watching the Portugal Golf Masters on TV today and the weather in the Algarve looks ideal. Are you heading for Albufeira again?

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 10:02:38 AM »
Portugal is actually what I keep telling myself, but in truth the wife banned me from going to Portugal, and especially Albufeira, again. So we're going to a place called Salou in Spain. But my wife has got us into an apartment right above a vegan hot-dog cafe, so I might get used to this place.

When we came back from holiday in March 2016, we decided to cut out all meat, eggs and dairy and became plant-based eaters. We have stuck to this completely, though we're not vegan as we do have honey.

We have now decided that when we come back from this holiday, we will cut out all foods that contain sugar. Out go my barbecue sauces and pickles. But you would not believe the rest of the stuff in our house that has sugar: there's a pile in our kitchen that's getting donated or chucked before we leave.

However, I really enjoy Morrisons meat-free sausages, much more than I ever enjoyed meat, but they also have sugar in them. Strangely, we have nearly thirty of these sausages in the freezer. So I'm cooking them and taking them with me. What security will think about a freezer bag with two dozen cooked sausages is anyone's guess.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 07:46:00 PM »
Why has your wife banned you from going to Portugal?
What would now consist of a slap-up dinner for you?

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 11:31:04 PM »
Why has your wife banned you from going to Portugal?
What would now consist of a slap-up dinner for you?

I've not exactly been banned from going to Portugal. I've been banned from always going to Portugal, or specifically, Albufeira.

As for slap-up dinners: a Sunday lunch with all the vegetables, stuffing, gravy, vegan pie and sausages; or anything Indian that my wife makes, such as pav bhaji, khichdi, ochra curry, mung bean curry with rice; or her speciality vegetable noodles, red lentil bean chilli with sweet potato, or quesadilla with kidney beans and salad, pitta with salad and humus; or her vegetable stir fries or tofu scramble.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »
A few mysterious ingredients in there but sounds reasonable.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 11:38:20 AM »
Don't you have vegetables in Scotland?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 01:31:28 PM »
Turnip.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »
Now, now, now! There's no need to stoop to insult.

peter

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »
can not understand why its so quiet at my house
must be something going on
i wonder what

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 10:42:46 AM »
Enjoy it while it lasts, Peter!
I apologise, in advance.

Rob Baker

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 01:45:32 PM »
I'm in Portugal now  :)  It's bloody hot though    8)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 06:46:29 PM »
Are you near Sao Rafael, Rob? I was shown a bizarre Facebook review of the City Bar where it was claimed that the owner, Patrick, is a big Pam Ayres fan and loves a West Country accent. You moight gat a free beer, mate!

Rob Baker

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »
Haha, no I was in Praia da Luz (we got back late last night).   Hoots mon!  I think Pam Ayres is from Oxfordshire, not the WC.  Though I'd have gone there for free beer!

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »
Heading over to the Algarve for a 5-day break tomorrow. A late but welcome decision! Talk soon.