Author Topic: Testing Bombs  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Testing Bombs
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:35:04 PM »
Imagine a bomb that explodes when light hits its inbuilt sensor. Imagine that you have one hundred of these bombs: an unknown number of the bombs are duds and nothing happens when you shine light on them; the others are fully working. Obviously if you shine light on each one you discover which are duds, but then you are left with duds and the remains of exploded bombs.

Scientists discovered that quantum theory allows you to determine which bombs are duds without exploding them. Welcome to the world of interaction-free measurements.

A photon from a laser hits an angled silvered mirror and either goes through the mirror in a straight line or reflects at 90 degrees. According to quantum theory, the photon does both at the same time as dual probabilities. These probabilities "inspect" the bomb without triggering it, revealing useful information.

The problem is that half the time, if it's not a dud, the bomb really explodes, but this can be reduced by using the Zeno effect.

They also discovered that you can get a quantum computer to make a calculation without turning it on.

https://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/the-elitzur-vaidman-bomb-testing-method/

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Testing Bombs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 12:00:36 AM »
Too bad they couldn't just make better bombs with all that technology.

Now look what you got me to type - the CIA will be all over my Facebook account.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »
Too bad they couldn't just make better bombs with all that technology.

Now look what you got me to type - the CIA will be all over my Facebook account.

;D ;D ;D
Mince, the festive season is over. Please stop posting frivolous. light-hearted stuff like this.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 05:23:23 PM »
They also discovered that all counterfactual quantum computers are vegan.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 09:41:39 PM »
I knew that.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 02:53:04 PM »
Of course, this does not necessarily imply that all vegans are counterfactual quantum computers.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 04:21:35 PM »
Oh, I think it does!
I apologise, in advance.