Author Topic: coronavirus  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
coronavirus
« on: March 10, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
I have been hesitant to start a topic about this, but it's now playing out like some Monty Python sketch.

South Korea are conducting 10,000 tests a day, which is more than the USA have . . . done.

Romania is:
    - stopping all flights from Italy, South Korea, China and Iran,
    - questioning everyone entering the country under the threat of fines and jail for lying,
    - quarantining those from infected countries for 14 days,
    - closing schools,
    - banning gatherings larger than 1000 people and requiring approval for gatherings over 100,
    - limiting car traffic from the affected countries,
    - disinfecting public transport twice a day.

The United Kingdom is:
    - happily continuing with the Cheltenham Festival with a quarter of a million people.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 08:56:43 AM »
Surely you trust Boris to do the right thing....

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 05:04:49 PM »
I suppose your moat must bring protection at this time Roger? If things get worse you could have your butler pour dish soap in it.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 06:50:39 PM »
We're simply not leaving the house for half a year.

The figures are getting a little worrying, and I get the impression that in two weeks those figures are going to seem small by comparison.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 07:06:43 PM »
No question this is a horrible virus and the number of cases in this country will escalate without question. However, it's worth stressing that the mortality percentage is barely above that of that of "normal" flu.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 07:51:21 PM »
I'm not as confident with the "barely" for the mortality percentage, not from what I have read. It seems to be at least ten times more deadly, and that's assuming you're of average age and get medical care. In Italy, they are having to make difficult decisions, and one Italian stated that anyone over 60 or with pre-existing conditions gets treated last, if at all. The case fatality rate in Italy has gone from 3% to 8%. Having said that, this may be because of Italy's older population, since South Korea's case fatality rate is much much lower.

We're two weeks behind Italy. In two weeks time, let's see how NHS triage decides who gets treated and who does not.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 09:08:49 PM »
Well, as always in situations like this, the figures bandied around are a mixture of facts, projections and guesswork. In the end, there's very little the average person can do, other than follow current medical advice. I can't say I'm hugely reassured by the "wash your hands" tip but anything that improves public hygiene is welcome. I'm certainly not going to cut myself off from human interaction. As I said earlier, it's a horrible virus but it WILL pass.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 11:55:53 PM »
If
In Italy, they are having to make difficult decisions, and one Italian stated that anyone over 60 or with pre-existing conditions gets treated last, if at all.

Who was this one Italian idiot who is claiming that they are refusing to prioritise the only people who are actually dying as a result of contracting Covid-19? Everyone else will survive, and without intensive medical treatment. That makes no sense whatsoever. I’ve heard some very spurious tales so far, but that beats them all.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 10:02:05 AM »
Who was this one Italian idiot who is claiming that they are refusing to prioritise the only people who are actually dying as a result of contracting Covid-19? Everyone else will survive, and without intensive medical treatment. That makes no sense whatsoever. I’ve heard some very spurious tales so far, but that beats them all.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/italy-doctors-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-milan-health/

Egg

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 07:39:18 PM »
ITV & Express.......Must be factual!!!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 04:14:53 PM »
Our PM and his wife are under quarantine - Sophie tested positive after a trip to the UK. New rules came out in Alberta yesterday about travel and gatherings over 250 people. Locally, the library has washed the toys and put them away for a while and a couple of local events have been cancelled or postponed. The local things make it seem so much more real than news stories in other countries.

Well, if this is the end of the world, it has been very nice knowing you all.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad