Author Topic: Covid19 Roll Call  (Read 6636 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Covid19 Roll Call
« on: March 20, 2020, 08:04:34 PM »
How is everyone doing?

Got food, Got things to do? Feeling fit? Not going stir-crazy? Being kind to those isolated with you?

My life personally is not that affected being a rural hermit in normal times; my husband's job is gone as of today - he trucks for the oilfield and oil is down to $20 a barrel so he will be home - but I like him so that's okay.

Another worry is my daughter being on a one year working holiday in New Zealand - due to come home in August - we are betting that there is a return to normalcy by then. But there is always that niggling worry that this could go on for years.

What are you guy's concerns?

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Covid19 Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 08:16:17 PM »
We began buying extra food on each shopping from about the end of January, so we were well stocked before the toilet paper riots began. Apart from putting the bins out, we have not stepped outside our garden for a week. But we have work to do from home and some good board games, and we enjoy each other's company.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 02:40:45 AM »
I'm working from home in complete self-isolation, and taking social-distancing to the max.

So, no change there then.

Anyone got a spare bog roll?
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 10:10:24 AM »
My wife went supermarket shopping this morning and, despite some empty shelves, returned with most of our usual weekly goods---including bread and toilet paper!
As for concerns, I have many. They range from the safety of elderly relatives to the psychological effect of isolation on society in general. Having said that, I'm an optimist. The world WILL get through this and, just maybe, it will become a better, more caring, place.

Offline Max

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 10:54:38 AM »
I'm at risk, having the dreaded underlying symptoms, so self isolating for 12 weeks (minimum I'm thinking).
Cancelled one trip away in April but still kept a holiday booking open in June, we shall see.
I intend to get some early morning fishing in if possible and take at least one camera out with me that's not part of a phone.
Instruction from my nursing friend is to try and be as fit as possible, I'll certainly try.
Really hope all of you get through this unscathed too, I worry about my youngest son who has MS.

Cheers all.  Max.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 11:04:32 AM »
My wife went supermarket shopping this morning and, despite some empty shelves, returned with most of our usual weekly goods---including bread and toilet paper!

I'm glad the reality in some places is not the same as the media hype.

As for concerns, I have many. They range from the safety of elderly relatives to the psychological effect of isolation on society in general.

I have to confess that staying at home for months is unlikely to bother me much. The only thing I shall miss is holidaying in Albufeira. We had a holiday booked for May, but cancelled it at the start of March once we saw where things were going.

I still think many people in England are not taking social distancing seriously enough. There have been 10,000 deaths from the start of the outbreak to yesterday morning. The next 10,000 will likely die in the seven days from then. If India, Pakistan go full pandemic, 10,000 will be a daily value. And that's just more than a bit scary.

Having said that, I'm an optimist. The world WILL get through this and, just maybe, it will become a better, more caring, place.

I'm similarly optimistic. I'm also hoping people get some insight into how unnecessary schools are.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 11:05:59 AM »
I'm at risk, having the dreaded underlying symptoms, so self isolating for 12 weeks (minimum I'm thinking).

Take no chances, Max.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 11:08:31 AM »
... and taking social-distancing to the max.

He just said he's staying home for twelve weeks.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 05:21:33 PM »
It is a worry not being able to check in on people you normally would, to protect them from your own possible germs (I have two health issues myself). I have two young relatives with asthma doing vital jobs - city bus driver and town water plant, I worry about them, and other older ones with health issues working in vital services - nursing and electricity.  That is why this message of stay home if you can is so important, the safety of others who must go out to keep things running.

I too am hoping the world will come out the other side of this much kinder - I think so many will be thinking more of the homeless and refugees and the hungry after only a brief sense of this feeling of fragility and interconnection. 

Hope you catch a big fish Max  ;D
Tarqs, i just saw that cabbages for some reason are going super cheap and are being labeled "vegan t.p." this was on Facebook, so it must be true.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 05:42:24 PM »
This whole thing is so sad: the first 100,000 cases took about 80 to 90 days; the second 100,000 cases took 12 days; the next 100,000 cases took just 4 days.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 10:41:11 AM »
Two to three months for the first 5,000 worldwide deaths, seven days for the next 5,000, three days for the next 5,000.

Boris Johnson has to enforce social distancing in law to deal with the irreversibly stupid.

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 03:45:23 PM »
I think it's coming. Brace yourselves!

Tarqs, i just saw that cabbages for some reason are going super cheap and are being labeled "vegan t.p." this was on Facebook, so it must be true.

Er, thanks, Diane, but did you intend that for Mince? He's the vegan...I'm the Vulcan.
I apologise, in advance.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 04:06:10 PM »
I got this via Messenger the other day. It may be a little too soon for everyone, but perhaps not. And it summed up quite a few thoughts I'd been having quietly to myself, as well as those that Roger and Diane have expressed.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/sgm9E_cmvWA[/youtube]
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »
Everyone is certainly going to get a different perspective on life and the planet. It's too soon to see whether this will lead to any worthwhile changes in how we live and treat the planet.

The video would have been better had it not ended as an advert.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 10:12:46 PM »
I think it's coming. Brace yourselves!

Er, thanks, Diane, but did you intend that for Mince? He's the vegan...I'm the Vulcan.

Well in that case, let me tell you about the time my daughter and i went camping down in southern Alberta and stopped in a town called Vulcan. Vulcan, Alberta is the only place in the world in which you can place your hand in a bronze casting of Leonard Nimoy's hand cast. L.L.A.P