Author Topic: Use your computer to find a cure  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Use your computer to find a cure
« on: March 15, 2020, 06:56:31 PM »
https://pcmasterrace.org/foldingteam

Computer owners are being asked to donate some of their computing power to an international effort researching diseases including the novel coronavirus, as well as cancer and Alzheimer's.

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: Use your computer to find a cure
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »
https://pcmasterrace.org/foldingteam

Computer owners are being asked to donate some of their computing power to an international effort researching diseases including the novel coronavirus, as well as cancer and Alzheimer's.

Doesn't that seem a bit risky in this age of computer viruses? 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 04:00:06 PM »

Simple answer: No

Complex answer: The source code is written by the creators. The source code is then compiled by the creators into the program that you download. The only way the program could contain a virus is if the creators maliciously added one in the source code. Why would they?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »

Complex answer: The source code is written by the creators. The source code is then compiled by the creators into the program that you download. The only way the program could contain a virus is if the creators maliciously added one in the source code. Why would they?

Very complex answer: Not if you wash your hands regularly.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 08:29:25 PM »

Why would anyone?
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »
Why would anyone?

I have no idea what your point is here. Usually those who maliciously include virus code in their programs do not work for Stanford University and are not trying to aid research on diseases such as Alzheimer's, Huntington's and Parkinson's. At the very least, these people have reputations and do not want to get sued.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 04:40:17 PM »
Maybe i just don't understand it then.

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 08:19:05 PM »
Mince, I think Diane was simply making the point that we should all be wary of the scams/viruses that are around. As an established idiot regarding anything to do with computers, I'm reluctant to open up my details to any online source. My knowledge is so limited that it makes sense for me to ignore these things, regardless of how legit they appear to be. I'm speaking personally here---I know Diane is FAR more savvy than I am. Already, in these horrible times, I have read of online scams purporting to safeguard financial investments during this crisis while gleaning information they can use illegally. I'm not suggesting for a second that the link you provided is in any way bogus but I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to feel comfortable with it. For a nincompoop like me, it's probably best I distance myself from contact in the real AND online world.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 09:39:20 PM »
To be honest, if you're anything like my dad, who believes anyone who phones him up, I'd agree with your decision not to install software.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 11:52:43 PM »
Do you phone him often then? That's nice.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »
I've just started transcribing data for the rainfall rescue project.  It is easy and no downloading of any fimes necessary.

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/edh/rainfall-rescue

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 11:28:58 AM »
I've just started transcribing data for the rainfall rescue project.  It is easy and no downloading of any fimes necessary.

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/edh/rainfall-rescue

That looks like a worthy project, but having looked at the handwriting on the records, I fear I would make a mistake and record a worldwide flood.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 02:24:30 PM »
Mince, I think Diane was simply making the point that we should all be wary of the scams/viruses that are around. As an established idiot regarding anything to do with computers, I'm reluctant to open up my details to any online source. My knowledge is so limited that it makes sense for me to ignore these things, regardless of how legit they appear to be. I'm speaking personally here---I know Diane is FAR more savvy than I am. Already, in these horrible times, I have read of online scams purporting to safeguard financial investments during this crisis while gleaning information they can use illegally. I'm not suggesting for a second that the link you provided is in any way bogus but I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to feel comfortable with it. For a nincompoop like me, it's probably best I distance myself from contact in the real AND online world.

Have you sent Honest Abdul your bank details for that super invisible anti-virus face mask yet?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 02:25:19 PM »
Have you sent Honest Abdul your bank details for that super invisible anti-virus face mask yet?

;D