Author Topic: Andrew Christine.  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Andrew Christine.
« on: May 03, 2020, 03:23:32 PM »
Andrew died early this morning of cancer. I wasn't going to mention it immediately but it's already on the internet so I thought it best to share the news with you. I'm still pretty raw so I'll maybe wait a while before expanding.

Rob Baker

Re: Andrew Christine.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 04:16:02 PM »
I am so very sorry to hear this terrible news :'(
Much love to his family and you Roger.
x

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 05:23:43 PM »
So sorry to hear this news.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Max

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 05:24:36 PM »
Terrible news Roger, my thoughts are with his family and you.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 05:35:05 PM »
I was shocked to hear that this morning, Roger, (from Lawrence Goldsmith who posted the sad news on Facebook). What a legacy of brilliant artwork Andrew has left us. Commiserations to Andrew's family, and I hope you are okay yourself - it must a real shock. You were the perfect team.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 06:04:33 PM »
Sad news indeed.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 09:21:13 PM »
So sorry to hear this sad sad news.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 11:57:21 PM »
I am sad to hear about the loss of Andrew. My thoughts to his family and you Roger.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 01:39:11 AM »
Roger, I read about this terrible news earlier this afternoon on Facebook, and just before I had to start drawing my cartoon for tomorrow's (today's) newspaper. It was a real shock, and I was so sorry to read it. I can't say I knew Andrew, having only met him a couple of times several decades ago. But of course, like everyone here, I knew his artwork extremely well, and have long loved the work you both did together, not only on Beau Peep and Horace, but those truly splendid works you did for that gentlemen's magazine that graced the bar in Dundee (I remember the artwork far better than the pub's name - was it Sinatra's?), which arguably gave Andrew even more scope to demonstrate his full range than even Beau and Horace did. Masterpieces, all!

We here have all lost a friend we never actually knew in person, but who, in tandem with you, was a daily visitor to our lives for many years, and a visit that always guaranteed a smile. That's special enough. But of course, to you, Roger, he was much, much more than that, and I can only offer my heartfelt condolences to you and Andrew's family at this very sad time. Your long and fruitful partnership with Andrew was truly remarkable in so many ways, not least in the consistency and quality of your work together, which never failed in its aim. That's very rare, but very evident in every strip you both created. It worked, as well, if not better than any other cartoon strips any of us have known.

The cartoon world has lost too many giants of late, in this past year alone. Godspeed, Andrew - there's some great company awaiting you on the other side.

I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 06:58:36 PM »
The pub was called "Foreigners", Steve. The day after they unveiled the cartoons, Andrew and I went in to see them. A guy who was in there had found out that we had created them and insisted on buying us a drink for giving him "the best laugh in ages". We reckoned we were on to a great thing---free drinks forever from delighted punters. This turned out to be the only time this ever happened, despite the cartoons being up there for years. Ah, well.
I'm still a wee bit wobbly but trying hard to focus on the good times. I'd known that Andrew was ill for some time but, of course, that still doesn't fully prepare you for what's to come. I'll get there. Thanks to you all for your kind words.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
Of course it was Foreigners. How could I forget? Wonderful exhibition it was, too. There was one about a wishing well I particularly remember! Worthy of many free drinks, even if that plan didn't quite pan out. Happy days.
I apologise, in advance.

Rob Baker

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 10:53:47 PM »
I'm still reeling from this terrible news.
I don't buy papers anymore, but do we know if the Star and Mirror ran tributes to Andrew?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 09:51:54 AM »
Rob, I was asked to write some background stuff about Andrew and our partnership for a guy who works with both The Mirror and The Star. He added, sympathetically, there was no guarantee it would be used, either in the papers or the online editions. This was understandable as it's been a good few years since either strip was in print. However, I did a short piece and the guy said he'd let me know if and when it was going to appear. I will, of course, let you know what happens.

Rob Baker

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 10:10:29 AM »
Rob, I was asked to write some background stuff about Andrew and our partnership for a guy who works with both The Mirror and The Star. He added, sympathetically, there was no guarantee it would be used, either in the papers or the online editions. This was understandable as it's been a good few years since either strip was in print. However, I did a short piece and the guy said he'd let me know if and when it was going to appear. I will, of course, let you know what happens.

Cheers Roger.  I just saw this online :  https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-star/20200506/281840055835560.    I'll nip out later to pick up a Star to see if it's in print.
Hope you are keeping well  :) 

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 11:04:47 AM »
Thanks, Rob. Yep, that's an edited version of the piece I did the other day.