Author Topic: Victoria Day Robin  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Victoria Day Robin
« on: May 19, 2020, 01:44:50 AM »
It has been Victoria Day weekend here in Alberta - the traditional weekend for starting the veggie gardens - it has been cool and overcast but still I have been out in the garden doing a bit of weeding as my husband builds me MORE raised veggie beds. It is starting to look like a serious veggie garden. For 8 years I had 2 raised beds, I had 4 last year when we thought it would be nice to have some home grown potatoes, and now there are 7 - they are huge beds 4' x 16'.

Anyway, the highlight of my day was seeing a robin, that was hanging around with me while I have been gardening this past week, sit on a nest of lovely blue eggs.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Re: Victoria Day Robin
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
We had robins in our garden last year.  The first batch survived just a few days as one flew into a bucket with water and drowned, while the other musty have had something wrong with it as it only hopped around and did not last more than three days in the garden.  I made him some cover as it was so cold but he shuffled off this mortal coil overnight. 

The second batch were out of the nest and away before we could see them.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 03:52:57 PM »
Here’s the nest.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 04:06:52 PM »
Here’s the hopping one.

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 04:08:12 PM »
We also had some blackbirds around the corner of our garden.  They fledged ok.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »
Lovely Bill - nice that you tried to help.

Not sure if these will make it or not - she built her nest low to the ground and there are lots of predators around.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Bilthehut

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 05:08:29 PM »
The robin nest was in our Passion flower mass by the conservatory door.  The blackbirds nest was on top of a wooden post leaning against the fence in the corner and surrounded by other spare wood. 

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 11:24:05 PM »
We have an ants nest.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 10:18:26 PM »
I too have an ants nest. It's not impressive and I won't post a pic to prove how poor it is. Well I presume it's a nest, it's a hole between slabs where they go in and out. Could be an ant pub or gym or something, I suppose.

I also put up two birdboxes to attract a better bird clientele into the garden. One remains empty, one had squatter wasps in it. I hate the thought of a wasps nest, so in the absence of any domestic flyspray, I squirted in WD40. I'm not sure if it's got rid of them, but there's no squeaking, so job done I reckon.

Isn't nature fab !