Author Topic: A hint of normality.  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
A hint of normality.
« on: June 20, 2020, 09:50:39 PM »
My daughter and her partner, Steven, have just left. We sat in the garden in warm sunshine, had a barbecue, clinked glasses and laughed over some fond memories. (By the way, Mince, my barbecued corn cobs are quite superb). The whole evening was a joy and a reminder of normal days. I can't say that we stuck ABSOLUTELY to the two metre distancing advice but there were no hugs or cuddles and we did our best to be reasonably remote. Even so, it was just nice to able to do something that, not long ago, we used to take for granted.
On a personal level, I wouldn't dare to even suggest that the current situation has been a "hardship". My wife and I are hugely fortunate to live in a comfortable house with a garden. Buying essentials, either online or in the local shops, was never a problem. I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like for large families in tiny flats with either reduced or zero income. My heart goes out to them and, it goes without saying, to those who lost loved ones to this awful virus.
I'm not sure how I would have coped if I'd still been writing scripts while all this was going on. I'm guessing Beau would have been delighted to be two metres away from Mad Pierre's swinging right hook...
Anyway, we're getting there. Stay safe!

Offline Diane CBPFC

Re: A hint of normality.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 10:10:07 PM »
Glad you had some great family time.

We haven't had travel distance restrictions that I hear of from my friend in Wales. As of the 12th we had a relax on the guidelines for "cohort" groups of up to 15 people - allowing people to get closer than the 2m rule with 14 of their favourite people - such as small family groups.

Anyway it is fun saying would you like to cohort with me.

Father's day here tomorrow, both boys will be home and I have steaks sitting in marinade and plan to do corn on the cob too.

I have just been watching the sun set in real time on Stonehenge and plan to watch the summer solstice sunrise in just 6 more hours at the same page. First time it has been officially live streamed - you can hear the traffic and the birds - kinda cool :-)  It is on the group "English Heritage" if anyone is interested in seeing the sun come up in 6 hours. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 09:20:23 AM »
We 'bubbled' with our daughter last weekend. No 1 Son is in London so drew the short straw regarding 'bubbling'.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 11:19:01 PM »
Is bubbling in between isolation and  cohorting? 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad