Beau Peep Notice Board > Outpourings

The pub.

(1/5) > >>

Roger Kettle:
Went to the pub this evening and had my first beer for four months. It was great to catch up with old friends and we sat outside, enjoying some typical Scottish weather---roasting hot one minute and then distinctly chilly when the sun disappeared behind a cloud. Of course, all sorts of precautions were in place but it was really nice to sample just a hint of the old normality.
Here in Scotland, the signs are optimistic---just one death in the last 8 days and only six people in ICU across the whole country. Obviously, any death to this awful disease is horrible but the wider picture would suggest that, at least for the moment, things are going in the right direction. Long may that continue.
How's it all going where YOU live? Diane, I'd like to think that the remoteness of Alberta has helped keep the worst of the virus at bay but who knows? Weird times across the globe.
Take care and be safe---we're getting there.

Diane CBPFC:
It seems like its dragging on forever. People in Alberta are crowding beaches and not many that I see wear face masks. I am usually the only one wearing one when I go in to my local town and in the city today perhaps 5% would be a generous estimate for number of wearers.  So we are lucky that is it not too bad here - most of the cases have been in the southern part of the province. 

I see people I know who should be cautious such as teachers and health care workers posting big family gathering pics on Facebook - makes me wonder if I am staying home and not mixing un-necessarily.  I will be in lock down for a few weeks in August as I isolate with my daughter who is re-entering the country.

My husband thinks he took me for a "day out" today - we went to an auto wrecker to get parts for my son's truck and stopped for groceries afterwards.

But the exiting news is that I am getting spuds from my garden - as early as 63 days after planting an early variety. 

Roger Kettle:
May your spuds prosper! (My wife planted some in our garden earlier this year and, so far, they have achieved marble dimensions).
The signs in Scotland remain optimistic---one death in the last 15 days and only 2 people in ICU. While it's nice to report these figures, it's horrible to see what is still happening elsewhere. Both North and South America are suffering some terrible spikes and my heart goes out to them. To focus on the political leaders involved would be pointless and unfair. Get well, World!

Max:
It's nice to read about the normal things again, spuds and pints being consumed. For me it's chilli peppers growing and having a new gas boiler installed (in the house, not me personally).
With the virus figures so low at the moment I've decided to take a wee break up North, just to get outdoors and the shielding period stops just before I go.
Hope I can remember what it's like to drive for more than 15 minutes.

Keep well folks  (y)

Mince:

--- Quote from: Roger Kettle on July 23, 2020, 08:35:49 PM ---Both North and South America are suffering some terrible spikes and my heart goes out to them. To focus on the political leaders involved would be pointless and unfair. Get well, World!

--- End quote ---

What is so sad is the knowledge that viruses cannot spread by themselves: they are entirely unable to choose to go on extended hunts for new victims. But they don't need to. People spread viruses.

America, sadly, is the perfect storm of unpreparedness, disorganisation, disinformation, science scepticism, recklessness and selfishness. And it's unlikely that even this pandemic will change that much.

If the American television programme West Wing had spent a season including everything that has happened in America since March, most would accuse it of jumping the shark.

If I had one wish, it would be that everyone who thinks the virus is a hoax or selfishly flouts social distancing should be put on an island together where they could experience the wonders of exponential growth while the rest of us use science and organisation to quickly rid ourselves of this pandemic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version