Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Thanksgiving
« on: October 09, 2020, 07:13:53 PM »
It is recommended here that people stick to their own families - perhaps take plates of food around to those on their own, but don't gather in larger family groups. They are saying this in Canada province by province in the hopes of a better Christmas. So many mixed messages with school back and 100 people allowed at weddings but not 20 for Thanksgiving.  For one reason or another we currently are blessed (?) to have all three of our adult children living with us so will get to share the holiday with them this year.

I had a very good garden, grew pumpkins and poppies for the first time. I have a nice collection of spuds and so many tomatoes! I have been freezing the tomatoes and giving them away. The picture is of two harvest boxes I did up for relatives.   

I know you don't have Thanksgiving in the UK and you are missing out - it is my favourite holiday - turkey and pumpkin pie without all the decorating and gift stress of Christmas - just family downtime. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 08:25:53 PM »
Those boxes look incredible, Diane!
I was going to wish you Happy Thanksgiving Day on Monday but, since you've already mentioned it, I'll do it now. Have a great one!

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »
Summer might be over but for those of us who enjoy vegetables, there's lots to look forward to. I just need to stock up on the vegan sausages and burgers again, and some gravy.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 03:34:33 PM »
Thank you Roger  ;D

I have really bean into gardening the last two years and am already thinking of plans for next year, more light on the carrots and that sort of thing.

I am doing a sunflower trial right now to see if the tiny sunflowers (Dwarf Sunspots) I grew have viable seed and if they do, share them around, they were so cute. 
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 12:18:04 AM »
Winter veggies are great too Mince - carrots, cabbage, turnips...

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 12:19:24 AM »
I made 4 pies - one of my sons really likes pie. 

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 12:20:12 AM »
You guys should start celebrating Thanksgiving too - you could join in with us Canadians or take up the American date.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 10:39:40 AM »
You guys should start celebrating Thanksgiving too - you could join in with us Canadians or take up the American date.

We have our own Stuff Your Face celebration, which we tend to celebrate every day.

I love the autumn decorations and rustic look of your display. Is your whole house rustic?

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »

We have our own Stuff Your Face celebration, which we tend to celebrate every day.

I love the autumn decorations and rustic look of your display. Is your whole house rustic?

Thank you. I am rustic  ;D the house is old and could use a good fix up - we do a bit each year, this year it was working on outside stuff. 

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »
We don't see sprouts on a stick very often in the shops here, but as I am a fun mum and all the kids are home to be amused by them, I bought one for Thanksgiving. 

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 09:20:29 AM »
Diane, I hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving yesterday---and didn't come to blows over some heated games of Crokinole!

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 09:57:34 AM »
It happens. I have an ASBO over Monopoly.

Happy belated and would-be Thanksgiving to all, especially in a year where blessings may be a little harder to find than usual. 
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 12:02:21 AM »
Diane, I hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving yesterday---and didn't come to blows over some heated games of Crokinole!

Blows, no...but there were huffs given. 

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 12:07:09 AM »
It happens. I have an ASBO over Monopoly.

Happy belated and would-be Thanksgiving to all, especially in a year where blessings may be a little harder to find than usual.

Thanks, yes we had the covid to worry about but we also had better weather this year and got the best hay crop in many years. It seems here that cities are really ramping up places for the homeless because of the covid too - I hope that is permanent.   

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 04:51:11 PM »
Yes, indeed - we do actually have much still to be thankful for, and I'm very confident that eventually...eventually...Covid-19 may change much of this planet for the better, if we can listen, watch and learn from its effect. It's already beginning, and even now, this is still a world I'm truly happy to live in, and in no hurry to depart.
I apologise, in advance.