Author Topic: Chess  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

Chess
« on: January 15, 2021, 08:06:56 PM »
My Dad taught me to play chess when I was a kid and we played quite often (he was disabled).  I bought 9 sets and set up a chess club for kids at the library years ago which was fun for a while but just did the basics - I taught from a school chess & math book set up for a lunchtime chess club.

My daughter has been wanting to play so have been having a go and she has been winning most of the time so I thought I would try out chess.com for a free one week trial of friendly computer games in which they tell you better moves you could make, allow 3 takebacks and analyze the whole game with you if you want. The coolest part though is that they give names to moves you make such as "Petrov's Defense" "Steinitz Attack" "Dresden Opening"etc

Anyway I am seriously considering taking out a year's membership and perhaps playing real people from around the world. I like the computer avatars because they are not in a rush and combine lessons with the game. 

I enjoyed the Netflix series The Queen's Gambit and Beth Harmen is one of the higher end avatars you can play.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Chess
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 11:42:26 PM »
Yes, it was an excellent series, Diane, and had me searching the web for several days, seriously looking for a nice chess table and set for my bachelor pad. I played a little in my youth, to a very low level, but was more thinking of the aesthetics of the set up, rather than any great desire to seriously take up the game again. Besides, I’m not sure I could afford the recreational drugs.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 10:12:34 AM »
What does the year's membership give you? I'm sure you can play against real people without the membership.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 05:24:41 PM »
What does the year's membership give you? I'm sure you can play against real people without the membership.

game analysis and playing bots other than Jimmy (600)
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 05:32:20 PM »
The Bots have personalities and play chess differently, my 4th Bot  Devon (1600) was clearing the board each time with ruthless moves, we had hardly any pieces left to play with, so I had to learn to play against that style - finally won one game against it. They rated me at (800)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 05:40:30 PM »
Yes, it was an excellent series, Diane, and had me searching the web for several days, seriously looking for a nice chess table and set for my bachelor pad. I played a little in my youth, to a very low level, but was more thinking of the aesthetics of the set up, rather than any great desire to seriously take up the game again. Besides, I’m not sure I could afford the recreational drugs.

You could get high just by going for a walk in the woods...

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 11:46:35 PM »
Playing chess would have been a great theme for a Beau Peep strip. I'm sure Roger will have included it somewhere. He won't remember, so maybe Rob will know?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 09:31:40 AM »
I did a series where Beau tried to teach Dennis how to play the game. See? I remember!

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 01:59:27 PM »
I bet Andrew loved you for that. Go on - draw a quick chess board...no, with all the pieces... go on!....
I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 05:15:28 PM »
I bet Andrew loved you for that. Go on - draw a quick chess board...no, with all the pieces... go on!....

Next to a bicycle.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 09:52:09 PM »
I managed to find the series I mentioned (It was in Book Two). Andrew took, shall we say, a minimalistic approach to portraying a chess board with a couple of close-ups of individual pieces. I smiled. Fond memories.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 10:38:40 PM »
I managed to find the series I mentioned (It was in Book Two). Andrew took, shall we say, a minimalistic approach to portraying a chess board with a couple of close-ups of individual pieces. I smiled. Fond memories.

Top cartoonist! Knew he would. 🙂
I apologise, in advance.