Author Topic: Cabin Fever?  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: Cabin Fever?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 09:44:31 PM »
Max, I meant to say that the "Pacific" series was extremely well done. I can't be bothered to check but I think it was produced by the same team who gave us the excellent "Band of Brothers". (Spielberg and Hanks).

Offline Max

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 09:55:58 PM »
Roger, yes it was, I've had the series for years just never got round to watching it.
This time round I know the characters from the books.
If you get a spare 5 minutes Google Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone, Congressional Medal of Honour winner.  (y)

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 10:26:32 PM »
I've just googled Basilone and it's an astonishing story.
I read Ambrose's "Band of Brothers" and watched the TV series---both were excellent. I knew about Ambrose because of his book called "Crazy Horse and Custer". Once again, I can't be bothered to check but I seem to recall some charges of plagiarism being levelled against Ambrose.  Anyway, I've always been impressed by his writing.

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 02:25:49 PM »
The dark times not only have a light at the end of the tunnel with vaccine herd immunity in a few months, but a light within the tunnel, namely:

- people more in touch with family

- carbon emissions reduced  worldwide

- essential workers appreciated

- more sleep (apparently 17 more minutes a day on average)

- more people able to work from home

- good hygiene back in fashion

- decade of advances in vaccines and other medicine

- board games making a comeback

- parents discovering whether homeschooling was workable

- people losing weight and becoming fitter and healthier

- everyone pausing to reconsider what they took for granted

But most importantly the pandemic was the perfect opportunity to:

- practise and prepare for a much much worse pandemic.

I hate you.  >:(
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 09:33:43 AM »
I lost a stone and took up yoga. How did you do?  :)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 11:47:00 AM »
Put on a few pounds and threw away yoghurt. Go away!  >:(
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 12:47:59 AM »
Today is the 6th day of very cold temps here in a row - I have been wearing two sweaters in the house and forcing myself to go outside. You know its cold when the school busses aren't running and it is too cold for the penguins to be let outside at the zoo.  A general rule of life for me is that if it is too cold for penguins its too cold for me.

We should be back to our mild winter again tomorrow, when we will be staying home because of covid instead of staying home so our body parts don't snap off.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2021, 01:35:02 PM »
Today is the 6th day of very cold temps here in a row

I love how the word row can rhyme with 'now' and 'slow', and yet mostly the brain picks up which one from the context.

I remember reading an article about a husband and wife who were heading for divorce: "All that was left was bitterness and rowing." And I thought that it was good that they at least got a lot of exercise together.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2021, 05:54:55 PM »
I can see you have put a lot of thought into that Mince, English is pretty weird eh. 

Today is supposed to be our break in the weather but it is still -25 with a wind chill of -37 Maybe tomorrow? The birds were singing more this morning so maybe they feel the end is in sight.

We too get power outages. For some reason in Canada they buried  the phone lines and have the power lines strung on posts along the roads. This means that every time someone slides off the road and hits one, or we have an ice storm or someone takes one out with a tractor, the power goes out for several square miles. We have been without power for up to 48 hours and do have a gas (petrol) generator that will run a few things. 

I thought I would celebrate the Lunar new year yesterday and made these terrific chocolate Ox cookies

I would really like to get to town soon.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad