Author Topic: The Times of India  (Read 5611 times)

Rob Baker

The Times of India
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:57:12 AM »
This is the Beau Peep cartoon in today's "Times of India" :

Great strip, but why it doesn't look quite right (sorry I could make it any bigger)?

Vulture

Re: The Times of India
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 07:22:06 AM »
It's the colour: the red headgear and the red moustache on the Colonel. The posh chairs don't help, either.

Who's Stuart Lee?

Rob, what are you doing buying/reading the 'Times of India'?

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:16:45 AM »
I can only guess that "Stuart Lee" is someone in the syndication business. I'll try and investigate this. And, yes, the colouring is awful.

Vulture

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 09:27:46 AM »

I've just re-read this: it sounds very accusatory! It isn't meant to be. Are you living in India or just visiting?

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 09:47:17 AM »
I think Rob may have found the cartoon on the Times Of India website, Vult, although having just looked there myself, I couldn't find it - the cartoon page had nowt on it. I did find several pages of truly appalling jokes though. I've written them all down.

Bizarre colouring indeed, especially the Colonel's moustache, and Stuart Lee needs to do some fast talking.

I apologise, in advance.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 10:01:25 AM »
I couldn't find it on the Times of India website either, although I knew it was published in that paper. We used to have fans of the strip from India coming on the site, especially in the early days. It is bizarre how the red has been added. Even more strange is the credit to Stuart Lee. Maybe he did the bit with the red crayon.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Rob Baker

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:52:41 PM »

I've just re-read this: it sounds very accusatory! It isn't meant to be. Are you living in India or just visiting?

Never been to India Vultch, I found it on the website (see below). I'm going to Brazil next month though, so I'll keep my eye out to see if Beau's in any of their papers. 

I couldn't find it on the Times of India website either, although I knew it was published in that paper. We used to have fans of the strip from India coming on the site, especially in the early days. It is bizarre how the red has been added. Even more strange is the credit to Stuart Lee. Maybe he did the bit with the red crayon.

For Peepsie and Tarqs, this is how I found it..

Go to the The Times of India website http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/  (I'll start with the bleedin obvious  ;D)

Right hand side of the page, 1/4 of the way down, click on "ePaper: Print Edition"

Edition = Times of India;
City = I think Beau is in most of the editions - the example I posted was from Pune.

Click submit.
Click search (on the red bar)
Type in 'Beau Peep' and click on 'Articles' and 'Whole Week'

Should come up with the last 7 days of strips - just click on the date you want to look at.

Strangely some strips are different depending on which City the paper is printed in, although each edition appears to be printed the same day.  Some are more gaudily coloured than others (some are in b+w) and some don't credit Stuart Lee at all. I saw Stuart Lee in a pub in Taunton a few months ago, by the way (the comedian, not the plagorist).

Don't you find the colouring distracts you from the actual humour?

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »

Don't you find the colouring distracts you from the actual humour?

Well, on the positive side, there is that, but I still don't really like it.

Rob Baker

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:20:20 PM »
I can only guess that "Stuart Lee" is someone in the syndication business. I'll try and investigate this. And, yes, the colouring is awful.

Roger, there's a label on the strip which says "DIST BY ASIA FEATURES". A quick search came up with this contact:

Asia Features
K.K. Bhasin, Chief Executive
8 Bhagat Singh Marg
New Delhi 110001
Tel: 3363194, 3363523
Fax: 011 6866646
E-mail: asiafeatures@vsnl.com
"Special interest in co-publishing cartoons"

Can't find a website for them though.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:38:23 PM by Rob Baker »

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 12:27:32 AM »

Roger, there's a label on the strip which says "DIST BY ASIA FEATURES". A quick search came up with this contact:

Asia Features
K.K. Bhasin, Chief Executive
8 Bhagat Singh Marg
New Delhi 110001
Tel: 3363194, 3363523
Fax: 011 6866646
E-mail: asiafeatures@vsnl.com
"Special interest in co-publishing cartoons"

Can't find a website for them though.

Your detective work is extraordinary, Rob. You don't actually live in Baker Street do you?

Rob Baker

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 08:30:12 PM »
Your detective work is extraordinary, Rob. You don't actually live in Baker Street do you?
No, but what's Gerry Rafferty got to do with it?  ;)