Author Topic: Would it be too much to ask...  (Read 14974 times)

Offline Tarquin Thunderthighs lll

• They call me Tarqs... and other stuff.
Re: Would it be too much to ask...
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2007, 08:53:37 PM »
'The Steamie' is a musical comedy, written by Tony Roper, who is probably more famous for playing Rab C. Nesbitt's best pal, Jamesie Cotter, on TV. It's set on a 1950's Glasgow wash house, where the wimminfowk used to gather to do their laundry. It's one of the most wonderful stage plays I've ever seen.

About ten years ago, I took my mother to see it at the beautiful Pitlochry Festival Theatre on the banks of the Tummel. It was the last time she was physically able to make our annual trip for her birthday. She almost died laughing (and she's German!).

I've just ordered the DVD on ebay - can't wait!
I apologise, in advance.

Vulture

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2007, 09:21:18 PM »
Thanks for the info, Tarquin. (I'm none the wiser, really. The last 'play' I saw was Hair - sometime in the sixties!)

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2007, 04:17:36 PM »
where the wimminfowk used to gather to do their laundry

Music to my ears. Of course that was before the lazy things had machines to help do it for them.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2007, 04:23:56 PM »

Music to my ears. Of course that was before the lazy things had machines to help do it for them.
We wouldn't need machines if people didn't keep inventing cloth that was 'Machine Washable'!

Beware, Peepmaster. We 'lazy things' definitely have ways of making you pay for that remark! >:(

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2007, 07:35:12 PM »

We wouldn't need machines if people didn't keep inventing cloth that was 'Machine Washable'!

Beware, Peepmaster. We 'lazy things' definitely have ways of making you pay for that remark! >:(

Sorry Vulch. Of course I know not all women are "lazy things".

I once heard of one in Redditch who wasn't.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Vulture

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2007, 09:29:20 PM »
Just keep going, Peeps. God will get her own back as soon as she reads your post!!!!!

Diamond Lil

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2007, 07:16:44 AM »
Thanks for explaining 'The Steamie', Tarquin.  I posted that comment and then haven't been able to visit here since!  I also saw it at Pitlochry and was talking recently about seeing it at the McRobert in Stirling at another time. Not that I want to make you envious, but I was talking about it to none other than Una McLean who reckoned it was one of the best parts she ever played.

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2007, 09:39:47 AM »
Ah, name-dropping - the rocky path to vicarious immortality, or so Peter Ustinov and Archbishop Desmond Tutu were fond of telling me (though it may have been "immorality").

Una's a legend. I'm pretty certain she was in the Pitlochry version I saw, Lil, possibly as Mrs Culfeathers (do ask her next time you chat)? I used to see her occasionally, buzzing around Perth when she was at our local Rep. She had enormous energy (no doubt still has) and is one of the finest character actors Scotland has ever produced, particularly in comedy roles, but certainly not exclusively. And of course, she married another of Scotland's greats in Russell Hunter, probably best known for his marvellous portrayal of the downbeat 'Lonely' in the great 70's TV series, Callan - you could almost smell him in that. Sadly, he passed away a few years back, but he, also, was a wonderful character actor.

Envious indeed, Lil. I can't imagine there was ever a dull moment in that conversation.
I apologise, in advance.

Diamond Lil

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2007, 07:14:11 PM »
I was at a preview of "The Winter's Tale" at the Lyceum to see Roger's friend (and mine), Colin Tarrant.  I was catching up with Colin after the show and each member of the cast gradually appeared and all made a point of saying hello to Colin's guest....I have never met a less-luvvie group before.  In amongst this, Una McLean came out, screamed "you must be Colin's friend from Killin" and embraced me like a long-lost cousin.  There followed a riotous hour of chat, reminiscence and teaching Colin Scottish phrases.  Apparently she had told him earlier that he was her 'lumber' that night and he was waiting to ask me what it meant!  She is a totally unassuming whirlwind and a totally unbelievable 77...she has a large, energetic part in the play and I couldn't believe her age.  I'm going back this Saturday with my daughter, for the matinee this time and can only hope she's around then as well

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2007, 08:02:26 PM »
As a footnote to my sister's piece, I'm off to see the play in Edinburgh next Wednesday before jetting off the next day for a week in Portugal. (Yes, I know---I took 9 days off 13 months ago. It's non-stop holidays for me.)
I'm looking forward to meeting Ms. McLean. Apparently, her late husband, Russel Hunter, had an original Andy Capp by Reg Smythe which she gave away after his death, something she has since regretted. The plan is to replace it with one that I've written. Not quite the same as one by the great Smythe but, hopefully, a nice wee memento.
Anyway, wish me luck. I hate Shakespeare.

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2007, 08:13:44 PM »
Shakespeare's excellent, Roger - seen him several times. No, hang on- it was his sister.

That's a lovely description of Una, Lil, and one I'm certain she would be delighted with. Russell Hunter would have been a great Andy Capp if they'd ever done a Scottish theatrical version.
I apologise, in advance.

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2007, 10:01:53 PM »
Russell Hunter as Andy Capp? Yep, it should have happened!
I suppose it's wrong of me to say that I hate Shakespeare. I simply don't understand most of it, although, to be honest, apart from the obligatory stuff at school, I haven't given it much of a chance.
Await my review in a couple of weeks....
"Colin Tarrant, the voice of Beau Peep and Colonel Escargot, was superb in Shakespeare's...."