Author Topic: Beau Peep Book #1 – now ONLINE!  (Read 33158 times)

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
Re: Beau Peep Book #1 ? now ONLINE!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 04:57:02 PM »
Yes, I did write to 'stick a link to it in the Just a Fort forum' - however since Mince always spells my name wrong and Peepmaster doesn't - it is hard to say who is right and who is wrong.

There you go! Exonerated of these vile accusations!  ;D

Diane, I was trying so hard to spell your name correctly, I spelt it wrong.

Diane, be clearer next time. These fights you keep starting are not healthy for the board.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »
Does anyone have Book 2?

Vulture

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 05:25:44 PM »
Yes, I did write to 'stick a link to it in the Just a Fort forum' - however since Mince always spells my name wrong and Peepmaster doesn't - it is hard to say who is right and who is wrong.

There you go! Exonerated of these vile accusations!  ;D

Diane, I was trying so hard to spell your name correctly, I spelt it wrong.

Diane, be clearer next time. These fights you keep starting are not healthy for the board.

Did you notice, Diane, that it all worked out to be your fault. That's the burden us females must carry throughout our lives!  :D

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »
Thanks for all the work, Diane, although, as I said before, I cringe at a lot of that early stuff.
And if I get taken to court by the publishers, I'll expect a whip-round for legal fees!

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 07:10:50 PM »
It is a good thing that people who sue don't target those who require 'a whip-round' Roger. Now, that fella who wrote The Far Side - he would need to worry.

Anyway I have a good argument; it is the publishers that should be sued - they should not have quit at book #19 - I will counter-sue for emotional damages if they start any funny business.

I hope a lot of people will have time to visit the site over the holidays; it is fun to see the early characters. The Nomad sure has shrunk hasn't he - not enough calcium in his diet?

And is it just me or did Dennis used to be smarter?

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 07:49:04 PM »
Actually, Diane, I don't think the original publishers still exist so I doubt if we'll have a problem.
I suppose all the characters developed over the years in one way or another. Beau is slimmer, the Nomad is shorter  and...well...I'm not sure if Dennis was any smarter back then. Originally, he couldn't read but these days he can get through the odd comic book.
Over the past 29 years, I might even have changed a tad myself. Just a tad.

Jack

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 11:27:48 PM »
Brilliant stuff. Thanks a lot for posting this Diane.

And I suppose Roger should get some credit, what with writing it and everything.

Offline Bilthehut

• Really, real person (but not blue)
Re: Beau Peep Book #1 – now ONLINE!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 03:06:57 PM »
Is anyone going to do Book #2 or later?  Is there any legal problems with posting any of the remaining books (as you can't buy them in bookshops any more).  I have books 8 and 10-19. (our family started late in being BP readers).

Jack

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 04:27:22 PM »
eBay is your friend.

I managed to get the early books from there dead cheap. The only one which cost a fair bit was Book #1.

While I'm here... did Roger ever explain the whole Bert/Beau thing?

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 07:01:47 PM »
Originally, I decided to call the main character Bert "Beau" Peep. The "Bert" part was always going to be dropped and I think it was only ever used once in the strip. I suppose I was trying to show that "Beau" was a nickname. I have no idea why!

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 07:14:05 PM »
What were all the other characters' nicknames?
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »
"Nigel".

Jack

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 09:36:01 PM »
Another reaction I had upon eventually getting Book 1 was surprise that, assuming this IS Doris, she wasn't quite as terrifying/hairy/gargantuan as I was expecting based on Beau's comments I'd read in all the later books.

Online Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »
I really don't have any defence for this. That was simply the first idea that came into my head when I decided to try and write a Foreign Legion strip----I hadn't a clue where the whole thing was leading. Later, when it started being published, it made more sense to have the woman Beau left behind portrayed as the cliched ugly, fat reason he joined up. I ignored the first strip completely.

Offline The Peepmaster

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 01:05:28 AM »
But... She's gorgeous! I won't sleep tonight with her in my heart...
Nostalgia is not what it used to be. 😟